Resin beads

Old 09-04-09, 05:00 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resin beads

I put in a softener, got beads in my pipes. What i need to know is- why are the beads coming out, is it a screen in the bottom, and can i replace that screen. Note- this unit was transported on it's side, used. Please e-mail answer to snoopyfish@aol.com

Old 09-04-09, 05:13 PM
B
Several possibilities:
1. The unit is plumbed backwards--the inlet and outlet are reversed;
2. the basket at the bottom of the tank that screens resin from the softened water flow is broken
3. The tube attached to the basket is broken
4. The tube with the basket is not properly sealed at the control head--perhaps the o-ring is broken or missing.

With the exception of checking for proper plumbing checking the other possible causes will require removing the head.

Old 09-05-09, 06:01 AM
A
Maybe Bob missed the fact that it was shipped on its side. Never place a softener on its side especially during shipping. At least keep it at an angle.

Was it a used or new softener? What brand is it? How big is the tank, HxW?

Resin may have gotten into the valve and is being washed out during service. I have seen this before with some DIYers not realizing this can be a problem.

Besides additional problems of resins getting into the water heater, etc., the valve may be affected b resins getting into the pistons and other valve parts. It may wash out eventually without disassembling the valve, but if it continues to appear in sinks, etc., you will need to servic eit.

Moreover, if the volume of resin is deminished enough, the effeciency of the softener will also be effected.

Old 09-05-09, 11:27 AM
B
I also have a similar issue; I transported a used Ionics IQ series 1030B on its side and I found out that a handfull of what it looks like gravel (more like sand) + black specks came out from the valve (OUT). I didn't install the unit yet with this condition. Please advise what to do before installing it. Also, I am seeking an advice if I need to change the carbon/resin/gravel material, and how. The unit is few years old.

Old 09-05-09, 12:01 PM
A
It's hard to say what damage if any has occured. If you can remove the valve and see if it needs to be cleaned out. Upright, the gravle, because it is heavir than the resins should fall to the bottom, to the most part, after the first backwash. If the gravel made its way t the middle of the tank while on its side, there will be a lopsided leveling when put upright that may never fully level out.

Tanks can be emptied and refilled if done in the right setting and work station. How big is the tank?

Carbon, however, will mix with the resins fairly evenly as they have nearly the same specific gravity. That would have happened during normal use anyway. The important thing is to get the gravel out of the valve if it is there. Inspect the screens.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 09-05-09, 12:34 PM
B
Thanks Andy, the cylinder size is 10" diameter x 5'6" height. how to inspect the screens? also, what does the backwash do?

Old 09-05-09, 06:22 PM
A
Backwash is what the valve does to clean itself after the resins being saturated with the brine solution. The flow reverses from bottom up with a fair amount of force that raises the media, which resettles leaving the heaviest portion (gravel) below the resins/carbon.

Screens can only be inspected by removing the valve. There may be no problem with them.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: