Kinetico, Sears or GE advantaPur? We are totally stumped.

Old 09-12-09, 05:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico, Sears or GE advantaPur? We are totally stumped.

I've had various sales people to the house, talked to plumbers, talked to the board of health and the local water dept and still I'm stumped.
Kinetico and GE seem to offer good whole house systems, but they are each coming in at about $4,800 for a whole house system and a ro system under the kitchen sink. We have low ph and a marked maganese problem but no bacteria or contaminants. The water is almost undrinkable. We'd like to protect our pipes and appliances by dealing with the maganese and ph and also end up with good cooking and drinking water.

Even though I've been doing a lot of research I'm still leery of being taken in. Esp. with a local plumber saying "just buy the Sears model and save $". Still, we don't want to fuss with it much. Is it worth the huge expense of getting one of these big brand systems? The avantapur system is less as a running cost. Kinetico looks like $350-450 a year just to service! GE was about $200. This is all a huge unanticipated expense. We'll make the leap if we have to, but I sure would like some intelligent and impartial advice.

Old 09-13-09, 07:30 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I've been in the field servicing, installing and repairing water treatment equipment for over 19 years. All systems will work, but for how long. I would stay away from Sears, Lowes and Home Depot models. They are not buildt to last on extreme water. I've always felt the Fleck 5600 control valve is the best buildt. I have not been a fan of any valve that has electronics, even Fleck.
With a low Ph, the first treatment would be a Ph neturalizer. Then followed by a softener and for drinking water go with an RO unit.

Old 09-14-09, 03:58 AM
M
Thanks. That squares with what I've heard. Do you have any thoughts on GE v. Kinetico? And can you tell me if Fleck's valve can go on any system? I remain a bit confused, (though I've read good things on the Flecks elsehwere) and I'd really appreciate your thoughts, since it is a great investment for us.

Old 09-14-09, 06:38 AM
GE brought Osmonics which makes the Autotrol valve. They are my second choice in valves over Fleck. The Kinetico is a good valve, but can be costly.
Companys that make control valve either have a standard thread size or one that only fits on their tanks. Fleck has a standard thread size so they will fit on most tanks made.

Old 09-15-09, 10:45 AM
M
does the fleck work on the agua-pure?

Okay, so I keep reading that the Fleck is one of the best valves. But what tanks, etc. does it go on? Does that matter? I have a local plumber who is suggesting an aqua-pure system for about $3,000 but this is raising yet more questions and he did not seem to know much about Fleck.
thanks

Old 09-15-09, 02:08 PM
When you look for a system with a Fleck valve, you will get the whole system. A water softener will have the tank, control valve, media and a brine tank. With a Ph neutralizer, you can go with an in/out valve only or a control valve. With the control valve, it will backwash the media keeping it from packing down (Ph media has a history of packing down causing problems). If you use an in/out valve, it should be plumbed in backwards, (inlet water to outlet connection), which will keep media from packing.
You can buy a Fleck 5600 metered demand system for about$550.00. Add the Ph neutralizer and installation and the cost should not be over $1500.00

Old 09-18-09, 07:00 PM
M
tHANKS Biermech. Should be Miermensch, I think.
cs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: