Lost of pressure

Old 10-09-09, 10:01 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost of pressure

I have a problem with my Kenmore water softener.

Since the begining of the week, water is harder and I do not have the water pressure that I used to have. One shower at a time is okay. Flush a toilet or the second shower at the same time and the pressure goes down big time .
The water softener is 6 year old .never have any problem with it before.
First ,I switch the bypass and pressure is good (85 psi) means something is wrong with the water softener

I notice ressently the salt level was not going down .
I thought I had a bridge of salt ,checked but not .
I checked the venturi jets and tubing they are clean .
I checked every cycle on the main valve .valve work as it should.
The cycle work as they should except when it goes on backwash : I have a good pressure going out of the drain for 1 minute and then the pressure slow down to the point I just have a trickle of water for the remaining time of the backwash cycle .(I think pressure should be constant at all time during backwash)

Any thoughts ??

Old 10-10-09, 07:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The resin is bad. You must be on chlorinated (city) water. Chlorine causes the resin to "mush" up and pack down thight in the tank. You should get it replaced soon or put it on bypass. The resin will pack down tight enough to break the bottom basket and resin will get everywhere in the piping system. It's a bear to clean out.

Old 10-10-09, 12:10 PM
P
Thanks for your response .
It's what I thought.
I already bypass it .
In your opinion ,it is better to change the resine or just go for a new water softener ? they are around $600 at the sears outlet store .
I am pretty handy ,I install the water softener all by self so I plan to change the resin if it's not too complicated .
I have the sears bypass so it's easy to remove the water softener and work on it .
Tell me ,I will need to remove the main valve ,how can I do it ,I did not find any instructions on that .
I will appreciate your help .
Thanks for your time

Old 10-10-09, 12:19 PM
It's not hard to replace the resin. You have to know how much is suppose to be in the tank. A service manual might tell you. In your case, it's best to use a shop vac. If you don't have one, it's a lot more trouble. Let me know the model # if you can not find the amount of resin required.
As far as cost comparision, it is cheaper to replace the resin (about $150.00 high side).

Old 10-10-09, 01:55 PM
P
the amount of resin in the manual book says 1.23 cu ft
Is that sound right to you ?
so know ,how do I remove the main valve so i can dig in the resine tank .
The water softener is a Kenmore ultrasoft 800
Model # 625.388800
Thanks
Patrick

Old 10-10-09, 03:57 PM
To remove the valve, first put the unit on bypass. Then adavnce the unit through the cycles untill you relieve the pressure. Push the bypass toward the unit with one hand while removing the clips with the other. Once the clips are removed, wiggle the unit away from the bypass. Disconnect the drain line clip and unscrew the brine line from the unit. At the base of the valve are 2 clips that hold the clamps. Pop these clips, remove the clamps and the valve will disconnect from the tank. There are 3 o rings, 1 one the distributor tube, 1 on the top of the basket and 1 under the basket. After removing the first 2 o rings, pry up on the basket and remove. Remove the distributor by pulling up on it. If it won't move wait until you get the resin tank out of the salt tank. If you don't have a shop vac, you must remove the resin tank from the brine tank. If you have salt in it, you will have to remove all the salt. Remove the resin tank and dump out all the resin. Pull the tube out of the resin at this time. It's best to replace the distributor also.

I sent you a private message.

Old 10-12-09, 08:47 AM
P
Ok,
Everythink went great except, I broke one of the black pin on the bypass .
I did not have a wet vaccum so that part was little messy but with the help of my son ,we managed to empty the tank .
One think I notice was the consistancy of the resine was very pact on top .
The tube with the platic filter at the bottom came out easly .

You mention to replace the distributor .
Why and what is it ?

Also ,I use city water ,probably chlorinated ,is there on the market some resin who last longer then other when using city water?
Thanks for your help ,your step by step instructions really help me to do this .
Patrick

Old 10-12-09, 02:14 PM
The tube with the filter is the distributor tube. If it breaks, you will lose ll the resin so that's why I sugest you replace it when the resin is replaced. Chlorinated water will cause the resin to go bad. Ionanac C249 is the best resin, IMO, for chlorinated water Or the best thing is to install a carbon tank before the softener.
The clip will still hold the bypass until you can get another. Glads I was able to help.

Old 10-12-09, 06:04 PM
P
So ,I looked closer to the distributor and do not see crack or loose part .
I checked on line for avaibility and price for it ,it's $70.00.
I perfectly understand if it brake ,all the resine will go in the line ,not fun at all.
But what can brake this part ,the distributor came easy when I pull it ,no resistance at all and when it's in it's not moving .
Also ,I inspect the valve ,the top distributor (look like a conique filter) was still on it .For the 2 oring on the outside ,I understand the purpose but a smaller one can out when I pulled the top distributor from the main valve .
I can see it on the owner manuel but not where it goes .
I am sorry but need you help here again .
Also about the amount of resin I need to purchase ,the tank is 10x40 ,the owner manual says "amount of resine 1.23 cu/ft"
Some internet web site says 1.48 cu/ft for this size of resin tank or other say 1.60 cu/ft .
What amount would you put inside ?
Thanks for you time and help
Patrick

Old 10-15-09, 04:56 PM
S
Yes patinsd, a 10 x 40 tank is generally a 1.25 cubic foot unit so installing 1.25 cubic feet of resin would be my suggestion. As far as replacing the distributor, I generally clean distributors when I replace resin rather than replacing them. It is so rare for one to fail or break it's hard to justify the cost to replace one. Unless you know you lost resin I wouldn't replace the distributor. It may however be clogged with broken resin beads and obviously those should be removed if that is the case.

As for chlorine ruining softener resin, it technically can after many years of exposure, but generally resin holds up quite well to chlorine. If you know the PPM concentration of chlorine to be below 0.5 then I doubt highly yhe chlorine had anything to do with resin breakdown.

Old 10-17-09, 04:10 PM
P
1000 thanks for your help .
I finely got the resine and the clip I broke ,put every thing back in order and voila ,soft water again and nornal pressure .
This was actualy not a big deal with good direction and help .

Old 10-18-09, 09:20 AM
Glad we were able to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: