water softner's brine tank problems

Old 10-19-09, 09:11 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water softner's brine tank problems

I have been troubleshooting my Culligan Estate2 softner for some time. I first started by taking all my salt out of the brine take (which was very dirty). Cleaned it our then added about 6 inches of water the to the bottom then added 80 lbs of salt. Seemed to be working okay after this process.

Today I checked the float and it was stuck up again after just taking that thing apart and cleaning it a few days ago.

So after getting the float to move freely. I charged the unit again to see how this thing shoud really work. It has cycled and now my brine tank is 1/3 full (I assume up to the float). Isn't this thing supposed to suck that water back out? Do I have to much water in the brine take. I guess I just don't understand how this unit works.

Before I started all these troubleshooting proceedures I noticed my full tank of salt was not going down at all in 6 months time.

I bought this thing used about 7 years ago when we built our house. Seem like everything is starting to go and money is tight. Can anyone give me any input?

Don't know if that will have anything to do with the problem but I thought I would throw it out any way.

Thank you,

jczeczok

Old 10-19-09, 09:26 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first guess is that the injection/venturi valve is plugged. You are right the the unit should suck the brine water out of the tank during the brine/slow rinse and should then refill the tank at the end of the regen cycle. In order for this to work the unit has a very small venturi nozzle somewhere in the control valve (not sure where on your specific unit) which allows the unit to create a vacuum to suck the brine. If it's plugged it will not pull much - if any - brine but will almost always put more water back in the brine tank (it fills the tank using the system pressure rather than a vacuum).

If the float is always in the up position I'm about 95% this is your problem. Look for a diagram of the unit with a detailed description/picture of the venturi and see if you feel comfortable changing it. Be careful though as generally they are pretty small and can be broken or lost during the process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: