Kinetico K5 Drinking System (question re WOW tank)

Old 10-22-09, 06:04 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico K5 Drinking System (question re WOW tank)

We just had the K5 installed last night.
It suppose to came with the WOW tank.

I remember seeing the WOW tank at the local shop, it has four connectors on top. I think it make sense as to my understanding, the tank has two chamber ... one for the pressure using untreated water, the other one for the storage of the treated water. We need 2 for each chamber for the water to flow in and out.

But the tank I got last night only has two ports on top of the tank, and the installer connected both to the K5 unit.

I ask the installer today and he told me that this is a new model and the four port one are the older model.
But I don't understand how the system manage to only using two ports if the tank is using water pressure (vs the old traditional air pressured tank).

Can someone share some light on this? Maybe the system is using one port per chamber and have water flow in/out using the same port?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-09, 02:31 PM
A
What you have is a MUCH improved model. The four- (actually five-)port model had a modulator in the tank that helped control flow and pressure. Some had service problems and warranty replaced them.

What you aw was a discontinued model but still covered by warranty if you happen to have one.

Kinetico engineered a better approach by placing the modualtor in the manifold in the main unit, eliminating two of the 1/4" hoses and the likelihood of problems. Notice that all lines are 3/8" making the flow very fast and at high volume.

The K5 also has a non-electric permeate pump to increase pressure to the membrane.

Can I ask you if the pressure at the faucet is good? Do you have a fridge hook-up?

Hope that helped.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 10-23-09, 07:50 PM
S
Thanks Andy. You are certainly very knowledgeable on Kinetico products.

The water pressure at the faucet is great. I have experienced with a traditional (air tank) type of RO system, and even though the initial water pressure is also not bad, but it will slow down within a minute or so. But with the K5, thanks to the design of using water pressure, the water flow stay strong all the way.

We do have a fridge that has water depenser and ice maker function ... but the water connection is connect directly from the basement (rather then a hose coming from under the kitchen sink).
The installer said he cannot connect the fridge for me because he cannot see the pipe, and we have a finished basement.

Anyway, it is not hard to do, I will run a new pipe from the kitchen sink to the fridge myself, so that it can get the water from the K5. Any things I should watch out for in doing so?

Old 10-24-09, 06:52 AM
A
Thanks Andy. You are certainly very knowledgeable on Kinetico products.
You're welcome. The K5 is has many other unique features that provide benefits for the user. As you have learned, these are not cheap but should last you for decades.

The water pressure at the faucet is great.
I have noticed that if I fill a rock glass and it is angle wrongly, the water just flashes out of the glass. Pretty strong pressure!

I have experienced with a traditional (air tank) type of RO system, and even though the initial water pressure is also not bad, but it will slow down within a minute or so. But with the K5, thanks to the design of using water pressure, the water flow stay strong all the way.
Yes, with pneumatic-style tanks the pressure (7-9 psi) is great, at first. But as the tank empties the pressure drops dramatically, until is becomes a dribble. Most air tanks don't start to refill unit they lost approx. 60% line pressure. Depending on the air pressure, a 3-gallon tank usually holds about 1.2 gallons when full.

Because the K5 uses hydraulic pressure (30 -60 psi), which is basically static and much higher, the flow rate at the is wonderful and provides other benefits. What pleases many is the volume as well as the pressure.

Take three empty one-gallon milk jugs and fill them up and you will get half way up the third handle until the water suddenly shuts off without losing pressure until that point; approx. 2.7 gallons from a 3-gallon tank.

We do have a fridge that has water dispenser and ice maker function ... but the water connection is connect directly from the basement (rather then a hose coming from under the kitchen sink).
Many fridge manuals recommend NOT using ROs due the pressure problems and flow rates. Yours will provide excellent service to the icemaker and water dispenser.

Water won't flow out 'fast' from the fridge but this is due to the internal plumbing of the fridge. It's the ice maker with shutoff solenoids that make typical ROs fail to fill ice trays in many models.

The installer said he cannot connect the fridge for me because he cannot see the pipe, and we have a finished basement.
Is your fridge contiguous with the sink and cabinets to the fridge? IOW if the sink is on an island or the fridge remote then connections can be more difficult.

Anyway, it is not hard to do, I will run a new pipe from the kitchen sink to the fridge myself, so that it can get the water from the K5. Any things I should watch out for in doing so?

Remove any copper lines and keep the 3/8" RO line running as far as possible. Other features include the membrane rinse. Every time your tanks tops off, the membrane rinses with permeate water. This greatly prolongs membrane life giving it up to a ten-year warranty. Also, instead of waiting till thank is 60% empty before refilling, the K5 refills immediately after every use, so your tank, generally, has a full capacity. Take a glass of water and the tanks refills---then the membrane cleans itself.

All lines are 3/8" and additional filters can be added (four total plus membrane) to address issues such as VOCs, viruses, arsenic and more.

This was not CHEAP--I think you discovered that, but should provide you with great water for decades to come.

Andy Christensen

Last edited by AndyC; 10-24-09 at 06:59 AM. Reason: sp