Kinetico Model 60 Runs Constantly

Old 10-29-09, 07:18 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Model 60 Runs Constantly

My Kinetico model 60 will not shut off after it goes through the recharge cycle.
This is a very old unit (32 years!!!) and after reading posts here and noticing our water was not as soft, I decided to change the resin myself. Everything went fine until I started it up and it went through a cycle. When it reached the end it would continue to discharge water. I manually ran it through over 4 cycles and the problem remained.
When I first started it up after the resin change, I noticed there was some resin in the water discharge, but it quickly disappeared. After reading other posts on this same problem, I assumed there ws resin clogging up the head.
Took the head to my local dealer to get it checked out and cleaned and they said that the unit needed to be replaced. I am not sure I remember their exact terms, but they said there is a lot of iron build up around the discharge valve in level 4. They said there is an internal O ring that cannot be replaced and there is a discharge valve / cylinder unit that is not closing.

Is this diagnosis correct? Can the parts be replaced or cleaned? Can level 4 be replaced on this old unit? I am not sure if I am getting the correct information or they are just trying to sell a new unit. I have used this dealer for a long time and had no previous issues.
Thanks for any help you can give on this!

Old 10-29-09, 09:19 PM
S
If the unit is 32 years old there is probably a good chance you cannot get parts for it anymore. I'm sure the o-ring could be replaced - unless it is not accessible to change. If they just don't carry the o-rings anymore but it is accessible you can call a local hydraulic hose company and bring them the o-ring. They literally can make ANY o-ring you need.

If your dealer is telling you that you have other issues it may be time to accept that a 32 year run is good bang-for-your-buck on anything with moving parts and it's probably time to retire the old workhorse.

Old 10-30-09, 08:43 AM
A
Originally Posted by elklake View Post
Is this diagnosis correct? Can the parts be replaced or cleaned? Can level 4 be replaced on this old unit? I am not sure if I am getting the correct information or they are just trying to sell a new unit. I have used this dealer for a long time and had no previous issues.
Thanks for any help you can give on this!
32 years IS a good run. All parts are replaceable or upgradeable. There were many changes in design over the years. A rebuild would not give you an up-to-date model, but just a like-new older one.

Since you have rebed the tanks, ask to get a rebuilt valve and at least one year parts/labor on it--they may require to install it, though. The brine drum float would need to be updated also. Figure the cost into another 3 decades of service.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: