sed question

Old 10-31-09, 09:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sed question

I have a well and done a few water test. Iron level is only slightly elevated at .8ppm, and hardness of of about 4 or 5 gpg and i do get some staining in toilets and sediment in faucets. I am putting in just a kenmore 300 series water softener this week which should help. My question is can i install filtration cartridges between the well tank and the softener? If so is nothing else needed to install them but the housing and cartridge?
I was looking at this sediment cartridge below. To install one of these is this the only thing that is need is this housing with the cartridge?
Aqua-Pure AP801 / AP801T Heavy Duty Filter Housing Only $82

Old 10-31-09, 10:44 PM
S
For your water I would say a 5 micron cartridge filter would be adequate. I always use a one micron filter or smaller when I install cartridge filters mainly because filters are rated nominally which means they can allow particles up to 4x there actual rating to slip through the filter. The only way to get down to a true 5 micron filter is to purchase an absolute rated filter which will be 5 times as expensive OR to drop your filter down to a 1 micron.

As for the cartridge I recommend that if you get a 10" long filter you make sure it is the larger diameter filter. The link you provided didn't give any actual dimensions but with a 20 GPM flow rate I'm guessing it's the larger diameter filter.

It can be installed between the well tank and the softener and is very easy to do. They require a little bit of plumbing and I always use a mounting bracket so I can secure it to the wall to avoid adding all the extra weight to the plumbing. Most manufacturers make a bracket designed for easy installation and if you don't buy it you will probably regret it.

I also always install a shut off ball valve on each side of the filter with a hose spigot installed in the plumbing between the outlet side of the filter and the ball valve. This makes for a very easy and reliable way to release pressure and isolate the filter when you need to change it.

Old 10-31-09, 11:12 PM
M
Originally Posted by shane21

to avoid adding all the extra weight to the plumbing. Most manufacturers make a bracket designed for easy installation and if you don't buy it you will probably regret it.
Thanks for reply, I want to mount it to the wall but I have a concrete wall, any ideas? Also the 5 micron cartridge was discontinued, there is 25 micron avail with faster flow rate would that work?

Last edited by moreira85; 10-31-09 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 04:09 PM
S
If you mount the filter to concrete/brick/cinder etc I always suggest using Tapcon masonry fasteners. Every big box store carries them and I think there is even a less expensive version of them on the market now being made by a competitor. They require a special drill bit but the installation is so easy and well worth the $10 or so you may have to spend. Some guys still like concrete toggles but in my opinion you cannot beat the Tapcon product line for your specific application.

As for the filter, if someone has discontinued a 5 micon cartridge then I would consider buying all the stuff from a different company. 5 micron is one of the most popular sediment filter sizes and I'd hate to see you buy a proprietary filter and then have the line discontinued. If the filter is indeed an industry standard sized unit then getting filters anywhere shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind a 25 micron will clog up less but at the same time filter much less than a 5 micron. I would always go smaller - I always use a 1 or even a 0.5 micron filter - but you can use whatever you want. If you are buying the right size filter (dimension not micron size rating) then flow rates won't be an issue. I have installed many 0.5 micron filters on systems designed to move 15 + GPM through them and see no appreciable pressure differential over the filter until it starts to clog and needs changed. If the goal of the filter is to actually catch some material then I wouldn't use a 25 micron. Like I said before that is almost certainly a nominal rating which means it could allow up to 100 micron particles to slip through. Use google to see how big 100 microns is an see if that would be satisfactory to you or not.

Old 11-02-09, 06:59 PM
M
Originally Posted by shane21
If you mount the filter to concrete/brick/cinder etc I always suggest using Tapcon masonry fasteners. Every big box store carries them and I think there is even a less expensive version of them on the market now being made by a competitor. They require a special drill bit but the installation is so easy and well worth the $10 or so you may have to spend. Some guys still like concrete toggles but in my opinion you cannot beat the Tapcon product line for your specific application.

As for the filter, if someone has discontinued a 5 micon cartridge then I would consider buying all the stuff from a different company. 5 micron is one of the most popular sediment filter sizes and I'd hate to see you buy a proprietary filter and then have the line discontinued. If the filter is indeed an industry standard sized unit then getting filters anywhere shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind a 25 micron will clog up less but at the same time filter much less than a 5 micron. I would always go smaller - I always use a 1 or even a 0.5 micron filter - but you can use whatever you want. If you are buying the right size filter (dimension not micron size rating) then flow rates won't be an issue. I have installed many 0.5 micron filters on systems designed to move 15 + GPM through them and see no appreciable pressure differential over the filter until it starts to clog and needs changed. If the goal of the filter is to actually catch some material then I wouldn't use a 25 micron. Like I said before that is almost certainly a nominal rating which means it could allow up to 100 micron particles to slip through. Use google to see how big 100 microns is an see if that would be satisfactory to you or not.
thank you for the reply. I am using the Tapcon fasteners.
As far as the sediment filter I bought the Aqua Pure with 10 inch by 4.5 inch filter. the filter that I got is 25 microns but I am assuming I can buy another brand of the filter since this is standard size and just swap out the filter, correct?

Old 11-02-09, 08:25 PM
S
Yes as long as the filter is an industry standard dimension then you should be able to find different micron size cartridges for it just about anywhere. Any actual water conditioning company can probably get you any micron filter you want. I know I sell everything from 0.5 micron all the way up to 50 micron and unless the 5 micron model was discontinued within the last 30 days (which im about 99.9% sure it wasn't) then even the 5 micron is available. The big box stores will have filters available too but usually they have a limited selection. There is very little difference in price for different sized filters so getting what you want - instead of having to settle for what's available - shouldn't be a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: