Kinetico 50C questions age 17 yrs service

Old 12-03-09, 06:54 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 50C questions age 17 yrs service

I have a kinetico 50C - 17 yrs of carefree service. I can try to repair it -- Service call $65. parts unknown. 30 day warranty.
New model 2040 costs $2295. 3rd option - can buy rebuilt kinetico 50C for $900 includes 5 year warranty don't know if that includes bypass valve or not.
Problem - the 17 yr old kinetico will make soft water if I manually regenerate it. I can hear water leaking out the discharge tube all the time even after regeneration stops. Service guy said I can have him replace gears in meter for $5 apiece. I can hear the gears clicking as water goes through when running laundry/other use. But I'll still have a 17 yr old unit with original resin. Resin costs $180. Husband wants to buy different new unit/brand and be done with it. What would you do?

Old 12-03-09, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it will not complete a regen on it's own, it could be the regen drive pawl, regen gearing or s stuck drain valve. You can not tell until you take the unit apart.
Sounds like you got good use out of it. As I always tell my customers, at what point do you trade in a used car? You could spend little money and go many more years or it can become a money pit. A new unit can cost around $650.00.

Old 12-03-09, 09:53 PM
P
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
If it will not complete a regen on it's own, it could be the regen drive pawl, regen gearing or s stuck drain valve. You can not tell until you take the unit apart.
Sounds like you got good use out of it. As I always tell my customers, at what point do you trade in a used car? You could spend little money and go many more years or it can become a money pit. A new unit can cost around $650.00.
Where and what kind of new unit can you get for $650? I was told a rebuilt kinetico 50C would cost $900 and that was a deal, with mine as a trade-in.

Old 12-04-09, 07:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sell a 1 cu ft Fleck 5600 Meter Demand system for only $650.00. I have been in the water treatment industry for over 19 years and have found that Fleck makes the best control valve.

Old 12-04-09, 03:34 PM
A
I personally use the 50C in my house. It was 8 years old when I bought and that was nine years ago. I am on city water and I dechlorinate the water prior to the softener.

It is still working perfectly. I would would have yours rebedded with new (fine mesh ) resin and have the valve and float in the brine tank looked at. For all it's worth, you can get another 20 years out of it.

Can you describe your water conditions a little more. Are you on city water? Do you use a prefilter?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 12-06-09, 11:34 AM
P
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I personally use the 50C in my house. It was 8 years old when I bought and that was nine years ago. I am on city water and I dechlorinate the water prior to the softener.

It is still working perfectly. I would would have yours rebedded with new (fine mesh ) resin and have the valve and float in the brine tank looked at. For all it's worth, you can get another 20 years out of it.

Can you describe your water conditions a little more. Are you on city water? Do you use a prefilter?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Andy, Thanks for responding. Sorry not to get back sooner.
Okay, I have city water in Southern Indiana. I have a regular whole house prefilter (plain white string cartridge) replaced when I remember to have husband do it. The 50C has a #4 gear under the clear window. Noticed water difference when last son left for college and left only 2 of us in the house. Coincidence? or age of unit? All water usage went way down. Kinetico dealer told me 12 years was lifespan of unit. So I'm not really that sold on HIM. He did suggest the service call to see if it was the gears, float, and gave me the $180 price for resin. I have cleared out the brine tank and put the unit into bypass on Friday. It was the constant drip, drip, drip I was hearing all the time. Wanted some input on what others would do - I DO NOT want to by one from a Box Store like husband wants. I feel the kinetico is a better value in the long run - given the service I and others have received from theirs. Thanks, Pam

Old 12-06-09, 02:44 PM
A
Andy, Thanks for responding. Sorry not to get back sooner.
That's OK. Busy time fo the year.

Okay, I have city water in Southern Indiana. I have a regular whole house prefilter (plain white string cartridge) replaced when I remember to have husband do it.
A prefilter is required on this model, but on chlorinated water, it must be a carbon filter. Chlorine is damaging the the resins and this could very well be why capacity has deminished.

The 50C has a #4 gear under the clear window. Noticed water difference when last son left for college and left only 2 of us in the house. Coincidence? or age of unit?
What is the water hardness? Change in the number of people won't cause those changes in water quality on the twin-tank design. But the age of the unit, especially on non-dechlorinated water will.

All water usage went way down. Kinetico dealer told me 12 years was lifespan of unit. So I'm not really that sold on HIM.
Kineticos are just breakning by then. We have 30-year-old units out. On bad water, 20 years and then some service calls are typical. Resin can deplete slightly year by year.

He did suggest the service call to see if it was the gears, float, and gave me the $180 price for resin.
If it has been regenerating (going through the motions) as always without any unusual noises or repetitions, then the valve is most likely still plugging along. A new resin bed can be all it needs. Make sure it is FINE MESH resin and don't accept another explanation that standard is OK, will work fine, don't worry, etc.

I have cleared out the brine tank and put the unit into bypass on Friday. It was the constant drip, drip, drip I was hearing all the time.
In this case, it may need some o-rings and seals changed. An overhaul wouldn't hurt. Is your brine tank separate from th softener or is the softener inside?

Wanted some input on what others would do - I DO NOT want to by one from a Box Store like husband wants.
Most of us here would agree to that.

I feel the kinetico is a better value in the long run - given the service I and others have received from theirs.
With proper settings and dechlorination, it should last for at least a couple of more decades.

Take care.

Thanks, Pam

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: