what is the order of set up for chlorine and vinegar injection systems

Old 12-08-09, 05:48 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the order of set up for chlorine and vinegar injection systems

Have high ph and sulfur bacteria. Went with vinegar and chlorine injection followed by automatic carbon filter.

Had bad experience last year in my dad's house which had a water softener and iron breaker for iron problem. After a year of still getting rusty many times I learned from reading on this forum and others that it was installed in the wrong order. I had to tell the company who then called the manufacturer on a three way phone call who stated I was correct.

New company, have been researching online. I want to make sure that this company installs this chlorine injection and vinergar injection in correct order. How should it be installed?

Old 12-09-09, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chlorine should be injected first between the check valve and the pressure tank unless you are using a flow switch. From there, the water should pass through a retention tank. Then the carbon filter followed by a softener (if you have one).

Old 12-09-09, 10:21 AM
C
should the vinegar injection pump and vinegar retention tank go before or after chlorine injection pump and retention tank. I was told by another company that chlorine doesn't work as good with high ph need to use more chlorine. Although he was talking about shocking the well by first pouring in vinegar to raise ph then chlorine into the well. So I'm thinking the vinegar injection system followed by chlorine injection system followed by carbon filter. I don't think you can mix chlorine and vinegar together. I know the estimate has two chemical feed pumps, two static mixers, two 80 gallon retention tanks and automatic carbon. Trying to figure out what the line up would be. If the vinegar system should come first to lower the ph.

thanks

Old 12-09-09, 01:22 PM
S
Are you planning to inject the vinegar to lower the pH so that you can then inject chlorine to help eliminate the sulfur smell? What is the pH of your water? Chlorine is pretty effective at a number of pH values and the higher the pH the better job chlorine does at oxidizing minerals. I'm assuming you are planning to oxidize the sulfur out with the chlorine and if you lower the pH of the water it will require more chlorine to do the job. If you are trying to kill microbial bacteria THEN you need to lower the pH as chlorine works better as a biocidal agent when the pH is lower.

All of this explanation would be much better applied if you were to list the pH and sulfur content of your water.

Finally what kind of company is telling you what equipment you need and selling it to you without telling you how to install it? Maybe a better question is are you even getting the right equipment for the job if they offer no technical assistance or installation instructions for their equipment?

Old 12-09-09, 02:13 PM
C
ph was 10 sulfur they tested by smell everything else was ok they said I don't know what was tested. Results were same when we installed our first system 20 years ago (vinegar injection with venturi aeration followed by sediment and carbon cartridge which clogged almost immediately was what we had). Chlorine for sulfur bacteria vinegar for ph followed by carbon filter suggested by one company. Other system offered was a sulfur filter backwashed with peroxide and anion exchange for ph said to shock the well occasionally by first putting in vinegar to raise ph then shock with chlorine, this person went by what we showed him our previous equipment was, what it was used for and how he treats area water with same condition. I liked the no chlorine system but it was $8000. Not doing it myself having it done but having had a difficult time helping my dad with his water treatment installation ( different company different area) and having learned myself online that it was installed in the wrong order and having to call the company after of year of going back and forth with them about rusty water breaking through theyhad no clue that iron filter goes before water softener. Only after a 3 way phone call with the manuafacture of equipment did company agree to come out and change the system around.

I want to make sure I know the correct order of system I am having installed since second company said to shock well with high ph we should put vinegar in first to raise ph and then use chlorine to shock well.

Old 12-10-09, 01:36 PM
S
You keep saying you are raising the pH with vinegar and that is the exact opposite of what it will do. Vinegar will lower the pH which is why I'm not sure what the reason for the vinegar is. Again chlorine is a PHENOMENAL oxidizer as pH rises. With pH around 10 the oxidization properties are almost 100%. If you are trying to remove sulfur you want the bleach to act as an oxidizer. If you lower the pH chlorine loses it's oxidization properties so I don't understand what role the vinegar is supposed to play in the system.

If you want to use the use the vinegar to lower the pH to a more neutral level because you are worried about potential corrosion issues with copper plumbing then I can understand using the vinegar and it should be injected after the chlorine and carbon filter. Water with a pH of 10 could cause corrosion issues but may not necessarily cause them.

Other than that the vinegar will not do anything for your sulfur smell and can probably be left out of the system entirely. You can always add it later if you find the copper is corroding more than you'd like.

Old 12-10-09, 05:29 PM
C
Thank you for that information. Yes the vinegar is to lower Ph and yes a couple of pipes are starting to get greenish stains which the dealer said is from the high PH.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: