Very hard water no idea how to set hardness level

Old 12-12-09, 09:05 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very hard water no idea how to set hardness level

I have very hard water. When I purchased my Kenmore elite water softener the lady tested it twice. She said she had never seen water that hard before.

That was a year and a half ago. Something happened and the settings went haywire. I need to reset it but don't know what to set it at.

All the manual says is how to press the buttons. I'm not that dumb, but I don't know what to set the various settings at for very hard water. Such as: Salt Efficiency (High Performance, Salt Efficient, Max Salt Efficient)
Or: Hardness Level in grains.

Can anybody help me with a good number for hardness level for very very hard water? And the other question, but the hardness number is more important.

Old 12-13-09, 12:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a sample of your water to Sears and have them test it. Then set it to the grains the test shows.

Old 12-13-09, 06:23 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
Take a sample of your water to Sears and have them test it. Then set it to the grains the test shows.
I just tried posting this but something happened. So if this is a repeat I apologize.

Sears is far from where I live. I just want to know if a low number is good or high number.

Like: my water is very very hard, so would I set the number at the low end (10 or so), or would I need to set it at higher number (121 or higher)

Are higher numbers best for hard water, or are lower numbers? I guess that is a better way to phrase this.

Old 12-14-09, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The number that you set is the actual number for the hardness. If the hardness is 20 and you set the unit for 15 you would get soft water hard water soft water hard water and so on. If you set it for 35, you would waste a lot of salt. So you see it's hard for me to tell you what number to set it on. Is there a local dealer? If so, take a sample to them and have it tested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: