Kinetico model 60

Old 01-01-10, 01:44 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico model 60

Hello, I have a Kinetico model 60 which has worked flawlessly for about 20 years. About 6 months ago it stopped softening and I checked and it was drawing salt from the brine tank and backwashing like it should. I opened them up and the resin was very low so I bought new resin, cleaned out the tanks and refilled to 3/4 level with new resin. Now it softens great but only if I manually regenerate them. Once I put it to the regen mode it finishes and I have soft water but it will not run on its own. Also the "o" rings that go on the 2 tubes connecting the units leak just enough to make a small puddle and its very annoying. Can anyone tell me why it will not soften on its own and where to find these "o" rings? I tried menards and they have some similar but they are just to thick to fit. If I need to take apart the head is there a schematic or manual of it available?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-01-10, 02:56 PM
A
It sounds like your backwashing metering gear is working but not your service drive.

It may need to be cleaned out. Perhaps some resin has gotten in the valve. Have you taken it apart yet?

Check to make sure the distributors are in good shape (not cracked or split). Is there a dealer nearby?

Old 01-01-10, 08:14 PM
W
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes there is a dealer but they have not been very reliable in the past. Had to call them back 3 times for the same issue.
I am very mechanically inclined and can probably take the head apart and fix it but just wanted to know if there is anything that I should be looking for. What are the little balls I keep hearing about? I suppose there is not diagram available for this.
Does anyone know the size of the Orings I need? I hate to pay a service call just to get the right Orings.

Thanks

Old 01-03-10, 03:31 PM
A
Where are you located?

The size of the o-rings? Just pull one off if you have it. The balls are in the lower lever and you probably don't need to get that far into the valve.

Taking it apart is done by many even without being very mechanically inclined.

When you called them back three times how did they handle it? If they didn't fix it the first time, what was their explanation?

Old 01-03-10, 06:30 PM
W
Hello, Located in Valparaiso Indiana,
Since yesterday I took it apart and cleaned out all the levels.One side (2 of the valves) had a lot of rust on them and appeared they were not working for some time.I think only one tank was softening so I cleaned it out and I put the blue balls back where they were( on top of the two towers) and reassembled the head. It all works fine and softens fine now. I guess all I need to do now is find the proper o rings.
Thanks very much for all your help.

As for the dealer,, well the softener was not working and they came out and disassembled the head and put it back together, when I was not here. I still did not cycle so the next time they came out they put on a rebuilt head and charged me 300 dollars, ,then they had to come out again as it was leaking. They only charged me for the one call. This was like 6 years ago and it worked up until recently. I cannot say enough good about the softner,, I have had it 20+ years and that is the only service call I have had.

Last edited by wizzard8955; 01-03-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-16-10, 11:29 PM
V
O Rings For Kinetico 60

I found the correct O rings at the local big Ace hardware store. I just took in the old ones.

IMHO The K60 is a fine durable machine that can easily be rebuilt when rust, tannin and sediment clog it up. I would gladly pay $100 every 5 years for an overhaul. I now know of 5 local people that have thrown away K60s because they could not get service. None bought a new Kinetico.

I was working on my own because the local dealer refused to overhaul it because it was too old. They last overhauled it when it was about 8 years old. It is now about 20 years old. All they would do is try to sell me a new one for $2000+. They would not even sell parts. I bought 1 and 1/2 "Broken" systems off of eBay for $150. The man was selling them because our local dealer would not service them.

I dumped all the resin in a barrel and cleaned out the sediment then filled 2 tanks full. (P.S. If the resin is still round beads it is good.) I picked the 2 best probes and screens. Then I rebuilt the best of the heads from the pieces of two.

I plan to send my original head to Kinetico with 2 Questions;
Why cant this be rebuilt?
How could the local tech tell without touching it?

Problems I found;

Salty Rusty Water The rocker arm that is supposed to prevent both inlet valves from opening at the same time was stuck with rust build up and was holding one valve open.

No automatic Regeneration - E clips broken and turbine rotor dropped.

Search the Web for Kinetico_specs.pdf It Explains the cycle. For more details search for the patent.

Al

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: