Kenmore Ultrasoft 800 softener tank will not drain

Old 01-09-10, 10:16 AM
U
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Ultrasoft 800 softener tank will not drain

We had a Sears extended warranty on it and they sent a technician who ran through some diagnostics, checked the venturi/gaskets etc and said the problem was that the drain line was clogged. (The original installer ran the drain tube into a T in the crawl space). He also demonstrated that the unit will drain fine into the yard.

We then had a plumber in to check the drain and he said its clear but could not help us with the softener.

Any recommendations on next steps will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-09-10, 11:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A blocked or restricted drain will cause the unit not to draw the brine water. If the Sears man ran the drain into the yard and it drew the brine water, but does not draw when hooked to the drain, there is something slowing the flow to the drain. Did the Sears man use the drain line or did he provide his own? A common problem is blockage at the drain flow controller.

Old 01-10-10, 03:30 AM
U
Originally Posted by biermech View Post
A blocked or restricted drain will cause the unit not to draw the brine water. If the Sears man ran the drain into the yard and it drew the brine water, but does not draw when hooked to the drain, there is something slowing the flow to the drain. Did the Sears man use the drain line or did he provide his own? A common problem is blockage at the drain flow controller.
He provided his own line.

Where would the drain flow controller be? (Our drain line is semitransparent poly tube).

Old 01-10-10, 05:32 AM
The drain flow control is located in the elbow that the drain line attaches to. Simply pull the clip the holds the elbow to the valve and remove. The flow control is struck in the end of the elbow. Also, the drain can not be run more than 8' above the drain elbow or it will not draw brine. Keep me posted.

Old 01-10-10, 11:54 AM
U
The drain flow control is located in the elbow that the drain line attaches to. Simply pull the clip the holds the elbow to the valve and remove. The flow control is struck in the end of the elbow. Also, the drain can not be run more than 8' above the drain elbow or it will not draw brine. Keep me posted.
The elbow is clear and the line runs at most a few inches above the elbow before running down into the crawl space.

Should I be able to blow air into the drain with my mouth and not have it feel as if there is a blockage or is that an invalid test?

Old 01-10-10, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post
The elbow is clear and the line runs at most a few inches above the elbow before running down into the crawl space.

Should I be able to blow air into the drain with my mouth and not have it feel as if there is a blockage or is that an invalid test?
That's a very good test. If you can't blow through it, it's blocked some how.

Old 01-10-10, 10:16 PM
U
That's a very good test. If you can't blow through it, it's blocked some how.
For tonight, I hooked up a garden hose to the drain line, added salt and restarted the softener. I will look more at the drain later in the week.

Thanks for the guidance so far.

Old 01-11-10, 10:35 AM
U
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post
For tonight, I hooked up a garden hose to the drain line, added salt and restarted the softener. I will look more at the drain later in the week.

Thanks for the guidance so far.
This morning, the family is complaining about erratic water pressure The curious thing is that hot water pressure/flow seems to have been affected more than for cold water.

Last edited by unmesh; 01-11-10 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Clarified observations

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: