R/O System making high pitched "motor" type noise (not gurgling)

Old 01-10-10, 03:42 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question R/O System making high pitched "motor" type noise (not gurgling)

Hi All,

We've got a GE profile reverse osmosis system (model #PXRQ15F), under sink, that (after about 12+ months of being installed) has started making some rather loud whinning type noises. It's deffinately not the sound of water running or gurgling. It sounds like a small motor running at a high pitch. When we turn on the regular faucet OR the R/O faucet, the noise subsides until the water is turned off.

I've noticed that if I run the R/O faucet for about 2 or 3 minutes, when I turn it off the noise stops for about 20 to 40 minutes.

The filters were replaced about 3 months ago. This noise started happening about 1 month ago.

When I listen under the sink, the noise is deffinately coming from one of the 3 filters. I can even feel a bit of vibration on each of them.

About the only thing I can come up with is that perhaps the R/O membrane filter is damaged somehow?

To recap, system installed over a year ago; filters have been replaced and are ~3 months old; motor noise has occured for about 1 month.

Any ideas on what might be causing this whinning high pitched "motor" noise?

Old 01-10-10, 03:55 PM
B
Check the automatic shut off valve. It should fully shut off the water through the unit when the tank is filled. If it fails to close completely and oscillates it can cause the noise you describe.

Old 01-10-10, 03:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like the auto shut off is going bad or the check valve for the shut off is allowing water to bleed back through.
Check out page 24 on this link. Looks like you can take item # 8 apart. See if a seal is cut or something is stopping it.
http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...e=49-50198.pdf

Old 01-10-10, 06:16 PM
R
Thanks to the both of you for your replies. Much appreciated!

Based on the location of the auto-shutoff, I would say that that is exactly from where the sound (& vibration) was coming from!

I took the unit apart and looked at the seal's and rings for the whole auto-shutoff part, and everything looked in good working condition. So I reassembled it and changed the pre and post filters while I was at it.

The tank is refilling now, so I'll give it a few days of use to see if the noise returns and post the update.

Thanks again for the quick, very useful replies!

Old 02-01-10, 01:28 PM
R
Originally Posted by rxsid View Post
Thanks to the both of you for your replies. Much appreciated!

Based on the location of the auto-shutoff, I would say that that is exactly from where the sound (& vibration) was coming from!

I took the unit apart and looked at the seal's and rings for the whole auto-shutoff part, and everything looked in good working condition. So I reassembled it and changed the pre and post filters while I was at it.

The tank is refilling now, so I'll give it a few days of use to see if the noise returns and post the update.

Thanks again for the quick, very useful replies!
UPDATE:

That noise has stopped since opening up the unit and looking at the seal's and rings...and replacing the pre & post filters.

Either one or both filters were clogged, or the area around the auto shut-off valve was and by opening it up, inspecting it and reassembling it...somehow dislodged what ever may have been there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: