Kinetico 2060 -- bunch of questions

Old 01-10-10, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 2060 -- bunch of questions

Just bought a used 2006 Kinetico 2060. In the process of draining it, transporting it and connecting it up we have lost some of the media. I have more media but am unsure exactly how much to put in it. Suggestions?

One man I talked to told me he has the local dealer $ervice his each year. He said something about adding neutralizer to the brine tank. He didn't and I don't know what he is talking about other than adding some Iron Out occasionally.

Sanitizing -- we are on a well. since I just did a bunch of plumbing I'd like to sanitize my system, Is there an established procedure for sanitizing and will using bleach thru the filter damage anything?

Is there anywhere to get a repair and maintenance manual on the Kinetico, be willing to pay for it if I have to.

Old 01-10-10, 08:25 PM
A
The freeboard should be 15 inches from the top of the tank to the resin bed. Freeboard is the body of water above the resins in the tank.

I have never heard of adding nuetralizer to the brine (salt) drum. ???

Santizing. What 'filter' are you talking about?

There is a procedure for santizing a softener. Is that what you mean?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-11-10, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Santizing. What 'filter' are you talking about?

There is a procedure for santizing a softener. Is that what you mean?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Thanks Andy.

"Neutralizer" -- this confused me too. Around here we have a lot of iron and manganese in well water so maybe he was talking about Iron Out.

Sanitization -- I'd like to sanitize the entire system by adding chlorine at the well cap. There is a place to do it. That way the chlorine would get all thru the water lines, pressure tank and all the piping that I recently added as well as the filter (Kinetico media bed) which has also been exposed to contamination. When we hooked it up the first time it got connected backwards and when I turned on the pump it spewed out media beads (a lot of them) which I scooped up, washed out and returned to the tank. My question really is will chlorine harm the Kinetico media or should I bypass it?

Old 01-11-10, 03:39 AM
A
Ok. Is the filter media a sigle tan or twin? Can you identify the media, it's color?

To santize the well, be sure to by-pass the softener/filter and remove and filter cartridges. **** off ROs.

Google well sanitition for the correct amount of bleach to use.

Take a garden hose and circulate the water down the well cap for about 15 minutes.

Run all hot water lines first till you can smell bleach, then cold water lines.

You may need to add more bleach down the well. Let sit over night. I would run washers, etc., at this time but toilets are Ok.

Next day, take a garden hose and run outside till bleach smell is gone. The flush cold lines first and then hot lines and run washers/disher.

That's a rough plan but look up for more details.

Old 01-11-10, 10:12 AM
Ok. Is the filter media a sigle tan or twin? Can you identify the media, it's color?
Kinetico 2060 is double tank, no RO, no charcoal, just the two large resin tanks. Media for the 2060 is resin. It is light brown (may be from the iron) and kinda looks and feels like tapioca. In Kinetico's brochure they say to bypass the unit, sanitize everything else, then call Knietico (Water Doctor) to sanitize the Kinetico filter. I don't know if this is because there is something special about Kinetic resin or if its just marketing hype so I pay them to come out and do something I could easily do.

Old 01-11-10, 12:12 PM
A
OK, I think I understand now. A softener is not really a 'filter' in the typical sense. So when you said filter, I was confused. A softener works as an ion exchange process and regenerates rather than physically removing elements from the water and holds them until it is either replaced or simply backwashed.

To sanitize the softener just put a half-cup of unscented bleach in the brine tank tube and put it through a manual regeneration. Repeat for other side four hours later. This should clear out the resins.

Does your softener have a prefilter? Resins for your unit will come with a amber to golden color when new.

Old 01-11-10, 01:05 PM
Does your softener have a prefilter? Resins for your unit will come with a amber to golden color when new.
Yes it has a small Rusco spin down filter. And yes, the resin is actually golden amber. Thanks for the information.

Problems with the media really started when I tipped it on its side to empty water from it. Bunch of media escaped so I scooped it up and put it back in. Then when I connected it to my system I didn't understand the Kinetico bypass valve switches sides -- inlet/outlet and I connected the pressure side of my system to the outlet side of the kinetico. When I turned it on media spewed out all over the place which I also scooped up, washed out and returned to the tank so I know its contaminated.

Anyway, I got it figured out and I bought another set of Kinetico tanks full of media from someone with a damaged control head and will use this media to top off the tanks.

Bottom line I have only about $300 into this and it seems to work great. I removed our old system which consisted of a McClean Iron filter with a bleed off tank followed by a Sears water softener. The McLean and associated piping was always getting clogged up with iron oxide paste which the air injection precipitated out of our water. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-11-10, 01:39 PM
A
Pictures would be nice. The Kinetico by-pass, does it have a grey handle? becareful, because these are reversible and if they are moved to a new location they may be plumbed in backwards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: