Kinetico 4040 Vs Hydrotech 5600

Old 01-20-10, 08:19 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 4040 Vs Hydrotech 5600

We live in Greensboro, NC and our water supply is from a community well. Results of our water tests: hardness: 4 to 5 gpg, Chlorine: 0.5, TDS:190ppm, pH: 7.5. We are a family of 4 (2 adults + 9 and 3 yr old) and have 4 1/2 baths. I see a white deposit in our refrigerator spill tray and see some scale deposits in our dish washer as well. I am worried that it might affect our tankless water heater as well. I got quotes from Kinetico, Rainsoft and a local dealer for a water softener system. Please help me decide on what I need. I dont want to go overboard and buy something that I dont really need.

Kinetico 4040 + K5 RO system for $3900 (tax and installation included).

Local dealer who is rated very high (A+) with BBB offers Hydrotech 5600 softener + Hydrotech RO for $2100. This includes 5 years of parts + labor warranty and also 1 year of no question asked return policy + 1 year of free service. Also, this dealer has been in business since 1982.

Rainsoft quoted $6900 and is out of my budget.

Based on this, what do you guys recommend ?

Thanks,

Jasper.

Old 01-20-10, 09:04 AM
A
Well, let me ask you a couple of questions. Surely the Rainsoft went into great detail in their presentation, right? Did they talk specifically how their equipment works (demand- timer), how it is different from others', or just the benefits of softened water, cost savings and their limited lifetime warranty?

Did the Kinetico guy do the same, or did they focus on the unique features of their equipment, especially the K5, which has numerous filter configurations, high pressure delivery, 3/8" plumbing, memebrane rinse(ten-year warranty), to name a few?

Did the local guy focus on low price or any special features of his equipment besides warranty? Salt efficiency, water flow, consistency, etc.? Was that 5600 or 5600SXT
5600 Valve US

Hydrotech makes various ROs including the following; which one did he offer you?
Drinking Water Systems
These should have been explained in some detail unless they were glossed over and price was the main selling point. Do you plan to connect to fridge?

The Fleck 5600 is a longtime standard and a reliable valve. It is generic and found in plumbing supply stores as well as sold by those that put their company logos on. It doesn't really offer an specail features and is not certified through WQA or NFS, but can do the trick. There is no chlorine removal with this unit unless the company has made some special applications.

I'm very familiar with the first two in my area, but don't know what the local guy might have pointed out.

It is difficult to say which is better because that is a matter of understanding, value and personal choice. Some prefer economy, others would rather have quality when it comes to their water treatment---which should last for decades rather than years. You will always find some that choose one over the other.

The Kinetico units (both) have very different ways and means to treat water. Do you remember any of those?

It can be very confusing. I know it is difficult to sit through sales presentations on unfamilair topics so it is good to seek info elsewhere and realise there are questions you didn't even know that should be answered. Let us know.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 01-20-10, 09:52 AM
J
Andy - Thanks for the reply.

Rainsoft was the first guy to come in. He explained a lil' bit but we did not understand much. Their main selling point was all the extras - soap package, americana shopper pass, etc.

Kinetico rep explained us about the K5 and the 4040 softener system. We did like the K5 system with their plug-n-play type of filters. He also explained about how it does not use electricity. He mentioned about a 10 year warranty but not sure if that applies to both 4040 and the K5 unit.

Hydrotech was the 5600. He mentioned that it is also a demand metered system with very few moving parts. He was going to add some chlorine removal filter before the water hits the system. Dont know how much water it uses to rengenerate (Kinetico mentioned something about 13 gallons). Something to ask the dealer. Their RO system is a 3 stage filtration system. We would like to connect it to our fridge and keep the RO system in a cabinet in the kitchen island (island to fridge is about 6 feet).

Jasper.

Old 01-22-10, 07:22 AM
A
Andy - Thanks for the reply.

Rainsoft was the first guy to come in. He explained a lil' bit but we did not understand much. Their main selling point was all the extras - soap package, americana shopper pass, etc.
Rainsoft had been in my area, twice. Both times they went out of business after less tan two years. There are a number of orphaned units where the nearest service call is about a $200 travel charge away.

In some areas of the country they are quite big and successful. I have noticed that their sales presentation do focus on typical softener benefits and special packages like you mentioned. Whenever I ask anyone what had they explained about the actual equipment, there was no response beyond the model name and maybe size. I have seen where some got a timer unit, which are quite wasteful with salt or become exhausted prior to regeneration. Onwers were unaware of differences from demand units.

Kinetico rep explained us about the K5 and the 4040 softener system.
That was my question: what did they explain? Kinetico has many features (and associated benefits) that most other softeners don't have. Kinetico invented the twin-tank design and others have attempted to duplicate it.

The 4040 is perfect for your application to softener the water at a very high efficiency and remove chlorine from you water source. Other benefits:
-Non-electric - no service calls on future circuit problems or resets.
-Unlimited supply of treated water
-Quad-tank design for all-in-one multi-treatment
-Overdrive - all four tanks are working to improve flow rate
-High flow rate
-Large port size - 1.25"
-Efficient hardness removal - over 5000 grains per pound of salt
-High efficient water use - imporatn on metered city water
-Corrosion resistent materials
-Counter-current regeneration
-Fully automatic and very user friendly
-Ten-year bumper to bumper warranty
-Third-party certification NSF, WQA, etc.

We did like the K5 system with their plug-n-play type of filters.
The K5 is a really very nice drinking water station with special features found nowhere else.
-Very high pressure delivery and membrane production
-All 3/8" tubing
-The only hydraulically (no low-pressure air bladder) operated tank
-The only self-cleaning memebrane
-The only membrane in the industry with a ten-year warranty
-Up to 17 different filter configurations to treat special water problems
-Filter-life monitor
-Designer faucets in many finishes
-No need for special delivery pumps that many fridges require
-Very easy to change filter-Approx. 40 gallon per day production
-Delivery rate is 1.4 gpm @ 60psi (almost three time typical ROs).

Kneticos are not cheap and you need a local dealer for parts and filter.

He also explained about how it does not use electricity.
This was the basis of Kinetico from the get-go.

He mentioned about a 10 year warranty but not sure if that applies to both 4040 and the K5 unit.
Yes, that's the warranty and it covers ALL parts. Of course check and ask about limitations.

It is the only warranty that permits a transference to a new owner (at same location) or original owner at new location provided water is within acceptable ranges.

The warranty on the membrane is ten uyears if following a Kinetico (new or existing) and four years if not. Even at fourr year without a Kinetico softener is three years longer than any other warranty that I am aware of.

Hydrotech was the 5600. He mentioned that it is also a demand metered system with very few moving parts. He was going to add some chlorine removal filter before the water hits the system.
The Fleck 5600 is a bullet-proof valve. Very reliable and parts are available from various locations. This is very common among plumbers and builders and offered by some professional water dealers.

Others here can comment further on the 5600 and actual water/salt use, etc. as well as other benefits.

Dont know how much water it uses to rengenerate (Kinetico mentioned something about 13 gallons).
Water and salt use over a period of time needs to considered as well. Especially important on city water because both water and sewage costs are reflected here.

Something to ask the dealer. Their RO system is a 3 stage filtration system. We would like to connect it to our fridge and keep the RO system in a cabinet in the kitchen island (island to fridge is about 6 feet).
Standard ROs may have a difficult time supplying adequate water (volume/pressure) to new fridges and many fridge manufacturers actually discourge RO attachments. The air bladder causes a drop in pressure and refills are slow and delayed.

Educate yourself and make a great choice. Let me know if you need more details.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Jasper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: