RO & Rotten Egg Smell

Old 02-18-10, 07:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
RO & Rotten Egg Smell

Hello,

I have had a whole house RO system installed alittle less then 2 years ago. The resale outfit told me that the membrane did not need to be replaced for up to 5 years. Almost at the two year mark I insisted in replacing it and just got around to doing it. When I removed the membrane cartrige the water inside smelled like rotten eggs. Should I be concerned that perhaps we were drinking this water for some time now? The taste or smell of the water after post filter was not there however the taste has started to be different over the past several months.

Agin what does the rotten egss smell mean and should I be concerened? Add any recommendations you may have....

Thanks
JC

Old 02-18-10, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The rotten egg smell is from sulfur bacteria. It is harmless other than the foul order. If you are on a private well you can shock it with chlorine, but if it is not getting to the water in the house you could just leave it.

Old 02-18-10, 08:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok

Ok that makes sense. I am not on a well just have an RO hooked up to public water. So by purging out the system will it remove the bacteria or do I need to add clorine to the line?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: