recharge Kinetico neutralizer

Old 03-10-10, 08:09 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recharge Kinetico neutralizer

The media (calcite or calcium carbonate) is gone, used up in my vintage 2004 Kinetico water conditioner. I've ordered 100# of CaCO3 to recharge. Do I just pour the media into the hole at the top of the tank? (of course the water will be off and siphoned from the tank). Someone (not terribly knowledgeable) mentioned backwashing, but I don't think this tank has that feature. It only has (at the valve) off, bypass, and service. Also I've never heard it backwash. water just passes into and out of a gravel bed below the media, I believe.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
P.S. Had a lot of fines that plugged up screens and shower head when tech first installed new in 2004 and we still get a very few, but we've ;lived with it'.

Thanks so much. ksheeley@netwtc.net

Old 03-10-10, 09:33 AM
A
There is no backwashing mechanism; it is an upflow tank.

Disconnect it and move it to a location where you can flush it out. There will be some small amount of Calcite left in it and it may be rock-like in texture. Try using a powerwasher to flush it out.

There will some gravel in the bottom. This helps distribute water evenly as it travels up through the bed to neutralize the acidic water.

Replace the gravel (new or existing) before adding Calcite. Make sure o-ring and threads are clean. Use only silicone, not Vasoline, to lube the o-rings. Reconnect and fill with water till air is gone.

Depending on certain factors, you may need two people to do this.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 03-10-10, 02:29 PM
K
Andy-
Thanks for the quick reply.
Is it really necessary to wash it out? Have no problems with water pressure and calcite is completely gone, I think ( noticed green stains in the white shower like we had before we had tank put in in 2004).
Thanks again. ksheeley

Old 03-11-10, 05:42 AM
A
Originally Posted by ksheeley View Post
Andy-
Thanks for the quick reply.
Is it really necessary to wash it out? Have no problems with water pressure and calcite is completely gone, I think (noticed green stains in the white shower like we had before we had tank put in in 2004).
Thanks again. ksheeley
If you feel it doesn't need to be rinsed or washed out, OK.

Green stains are most likely coming from copper plumbing being corroded and leaching into your water. Get that taken care of asap.

Old 03-12-10, 06:30 AM
K
rinse media before RECHARGE NEUTRALIZER?

Andy-

Thanks again for the quick response. I have one last question ( I hope). With my vintage 2004 Kinetico upflow neutralizer so I need to rinse the media before recharging. A website and a local tech say to do so, but neither are associated with Kinetico. I can't find Kinetico number online and local dealer will not provide it.

Old 03-12-10, 12:24 PM
A
Not sure what you mean by rinse media before recharging. What are the steps you are thinking here?

Old 03-12-10, 05:33 PM
K
recharge water neutralizer

I misunderstood 'rinsing the system' ( meaning flushing all the pipes after adding media) 'to avoid solidifying media' as rinsing the media or the tank... I was confused. Nevermind, but thanks so much for all the help, the timely response, the bearing with a know nothing.
This is a great site, and I'm sure it'll get a lot of use from myself in the future. I'm really glad I stumbled upon it.
Thanks again, Andy (and everyone else). ksheeley

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: