Fleck? Don't really understand

Old 03-29-10, 06:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fleck? Don't really understand

I've been researching water softeners and have heard good things about Fleck. But I don't really understand what Fleck is. Is it just a control valve? Is it an entire water softener system with salt tank and everything? I can't seem to find anyone that sells Fleck nearby. It appears that Fleck is part of a company called Pentair, Inc. If I buy a Fleck system (if indeed that is how they are sold) am I stuck installing it myself? How do I get service done if something happens?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-29-10, 07:11 AM
S
What's the difference between these two systems?

Fleck 5600 64K Meter Based Water Softener 5616M64C500 Product Information

Water treatment, water softener, water conditioners, Fleck 5600 water softener

Are they the same? Why is one $200 less than the other?

What's the "yoke" and would I need to upgrade it?

Do I need a bypass valve?

Are these prices ($798.81 and $585.00) for everything I would need?

Old 03-29-10, 10:39 AM
B
In order to connect your plumbing to a water softener you need either a "yoke" which is simply an adapter between the connection at the softener to standard plumbing fittings or a "bypass" which is a yoke + a valve that allows you to disconnect the softener but still have water flowing in your plumbing system. You should, in my opinion, get the bypass.

Most online sellers sell complete systems which may include components made by different companies. The brand name of the control valve is usually used as a primary identifier of the system and the only brand name prominently mentioned. Other major components include the media tank which is identified by size (diameter and height), the media which is typically generic in the standard model but brand name/specialty media may be offered, the brine tank and brine valve which are not normally listed by brand name but rather by the size of the tank. As you have noted the plumbing connection usually has options and you need to chose between a yoke and a bypass and then by plumbing connector size.

If you buy on line you are responsible for determining what you need--perhaps with some help from the seller or from online forums--and for installing it or arranging for a local plumber to connect it. You will also be responsible for determining your water conditions and programming the unit for your water conditions.

Local water service companies like Culligan which is a chain, or local independent dealers provide a bundle of services.

It is generally much less expensive to buy on line and have a local plumber install than buying a bundle if you can deal with the water quality and programming issues.

As to the two online listings the lower price seller is a complete unit and has been in business for a number of years. A no brainer in my view.

There are several factors to consider in chosing a specific model.

Your water analysis--hardness, pH, iron content and at minimum as well as whether you have municipal or well water.

Any specific water problems--such as taste, odor, silt, etc.

The size of the main plumbing line in your house that you will be connection the softener in.

The number of people in the household.

The number of bathrooms and whether you have any special high use fixtures such as large tubs or multiple shower heads in showers, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: