Kinetico Excessive Backwash Discharge

Old 05-03-10, 11:14 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico Excessive Backwash Discharge

I have a well water system with a Mach 2060 conditioner after a 2100F carbon filter. The system was installed (new) 6 years ago.

Recently, the carbon filter has been discharging in excess of 100 gallons during its backwash cycle. I measured it using 5-gallon buckets and stopped counting after it filled 20 buckets.

It did this once before, shortly after it was installed, and was covered under warranty. The work order then stated that it was due to a bad flow switch causing the Stenner chlorine pump to remain on even when there was no water flow. At the time they replaced/repaired the flow switch and replaced all of the rubber valves in the Kinetico filter control valve. I saw all of the rubber valves that were removed and they were curled up from the contact with high levels of chlorine.

Once again, I think the flow valve has started failing as I've noticed the chemical pump occasionally running without any water flowing. I have found a new flow switch but will still have to replace the rubber valves in the control valve. I venture a guess that it won't be cheap to have the regional Kinetico service provider do the replacement.

From what I remember of the initial service, I think I could perform the repairs myself. Does anyone know how I can get a service kit or individual rubber valves for my Kinetico control valve?

Has the cabon been damaged by the high chlorine levels? Should I replace it at the same time when I service the valve?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-10, 07:01 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=FarFromStock;1723484]I have a well water system with a Mach 2060 conditioner after a 2100F carbon filter. The system was installed (new) 6 years ago.

Recently, the carbon filter has been discharging in excess of 100 gallons during its backwash cycle. I measured it using 5-gallon buckets and stopped counting after it filled 20 buckets.
Actually, the 2100f OD carbon filter should use arounf 130 gallons for backwashing. Not sure why you counted only a 100 gallons.

It did this once before, shortly after it was installed, and was covered under warranty. The work order then stated that it was due to a bad flow switch causing the Stenner chlorine pump to remain on even when there was no water flow.
I would like to learn more how this failure could cause that.

At the time they replaced/repaired the flow switch and replaced all of the rubber valves in the Kinetico filter control valve. I saw all of the rubber valves that were removed and they were curled up from the contact with high levels of chlorine.
It sounds like chlorine level is way too high. Do you have a retention tank (80 / 120gal)? This problem will reoccur after service eventually. Have you considered using H202?

Once again, I think the flow valve has started failing as I've noticed the chemical pump occasionally running without any water flowing.
Is this the switch combo?

CLICK PHOTO

I have found a new flow switch but will still have to replace the rubber valves in the control valve. I venture a guess that it won't be cheap to have the regional Kinetico service provider do the replacement.
I can't say how much their service calls would be.

From what I remember of the initial service, I think I could perform the repairs myself. Does anyone know how I can get a service kit or individual rubber valves for my Kinetico control valve?
I can't get you parts but i could provide additional info via email.

Has the cabon been damaged by the high chlorine levels?
That is likely,

Should I replace it at the same time when I service the valve?
May as well to keep down time shorter. Does chlorine come though the filter? I'll try to comment more later.
Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: