Culligan MARK 10 does not pick up brine

Old 07-15-10, 07:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Culligan MARK 10 does not pick up brine

Hi all,
Softner is 12 years old and water was smelling and not so good. Decided to replace resin and clean out brine tank. they both needed it. Now all seems well but when I start a recharge I can see the resin go up and water comming out of the waste tube but it does not seem to be drawing any brine. The water at the waste tube is not salty and I have cleaned the cartridges and the eductor and lubed the o-rings with silicone. The water level in the brine tank looks good. When the recharge starts should back flushing start right away with brine water? Should I see the brine water go down (.25/min)? When the backwash starts I do not feel any suction at the brine refill tube. Please help. Thanks

Old 07-15-10, 11:25 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Was there water going to the brine tank?
Brine refill for the Culligan is the last thing that it will do.
First is the back wash, then the brine draw then the rapid rinse.
Some times the rapid rinse and brine refill are part of the same time frame.
Could be that the brine float is stuck in a full position and will not let any more water into the brine tank.

Old 07-16-10, 05:47 AM
J
The brine tank seems full of water. Up to about the high end of the float. it seemed that the float had about 1/2 inch till it touched the top stop.

you state "Could be that the brine float is stuck in a full position and will not let any more water into the brine tank. "
But the brine tank is full. Should it not be?

When the backflush starts I did not have any suction at the tube from the brine tank. It was dumping waste water at the time. I thought it would only backflush with brine water?

So the backwash and brine draw are not at the same time?
Do you think that it could be that some internal O rings are leaking and not getting suction to pick up brine?
Thanks Akpsdvan

Old 07-16-10, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by JSJJJ View Post
The brine tank seems full of water. Up to about the high end of the float. it seemed that the float had about 1/2 inch till it touched the top stop.

you state "Could be that the brine float is stuck in a full position and will not let any more water into the brine tank. "
But the brine tank is full. Should it not be?

When the backflush starts I did not have any suction at the tube from the brine tank. It was dumping waste water at the time. I thought it would only backflush with brine water?

So the backwash and brine draw are not at the same time?
Do you think that it could be that some internal O rings are leaking and not getting suction to pick up brine?
Thanks Akpsdvan
Brine tank should have between 7" and 12" of water from the bottom, depending on the salt setting, the more salt the more water. 3lbs of salt per 1 gallon of water.
Culligan and my Fleck units fill the brine tank at the end of the cycle so that it is ready the next cleaning cycle.

Back wash and brine draw are not together they are separate.. Back wash for about 10 minutes and then the brine draw and slow rinse for about 50 minutes. The water going to the drain should be 3 gpm or a loud strong sound , then the brine draw should be .45gpm or a soft sound to the drain.

How much of the system did you have apart?

Old 07-16-10, 07:03 PM
J
Took the Mark 10 head off of the tank and replaced the resin.
Easy and no big deal. Took all of the salt out of the holding/brine tank and cleaned it good. last foot was like sand. all clean now.

Took top off of the control assy. Pulled out the two cartridges and washed them with soapy water and cleaned the screens.
Did not look too bad. Took out Eductor and cleaned it and the screens also. lubed up all of the o-rings and put back together.

The water level is 23" in the brine tank.

Took the Mark 10 head all apart again and cleaned it all again. Ran a manual cycle and it sucked up brine this time and ran a complete cycle. all is looking normal right now. Now I just need to see if it is going to do it every 600 gal like it is programmed to.

Thanks for your help
I may be back if I have more issues.
Is it true that the Mark 10 heads are very old and we cannot get parts for them?
Mine was new 11 years ago and I am the origonal owner.

Old 07-16-10, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by JSJJJ View Post
Took the Mark 10 head off of the tank and replaced the resin.
Easy and no big deal. Took all of the salt out of the holding/brine tank and cleaned it good. last foot was like sand. all clean now.

Took top off of the control assy. Pulled out the two cartridges and washed them with soapy water and cleaned the screens.
Did not look too bad. Took out Eductor and cleaned it and the screens also. lubed up all of the o-rings and put back together.

The water level is 23" in the brine tank.

Took the Mark 10 head all apart again and cleaned it all again. Ran a manual cycle and it sucked up brine this time and ran a complete cycle. all is looking normal right now. Now I just need to see if it is going to do it every 600 gal like it is programmed to.

Thanks for your help
I may be back if I have more issues.
Is it true that the Mark 10 heads are very old and we cannot get parts for them?
Mine was new 11 years ago and I am the origonal owner.
The Mark 10 head is the same base that the Mark 87,812 and the newer ones, the controls have changed but I have one that is about 5 years and 80% is the same as what is on the older ones.
You might watch a site or two for used ones that look to be in good shape and buy for parts if you have a challenge with your local dealer not wishing to keep yours running for years to come.
As long as I can get parts for a system I keep them running, but that is me and not all.
The longer that I can keep a full system out of the land fill the better things are for all...

Old 08-12-10, 08:59 PM
C
Culligan

Brine screen or venturi is clogged.

Old 09-23-10, 03:38 PM
D
Brine tank Float valve, and New Resin tank. Culligan Mark 10 system

Hi, great info here guys. I think I need a new float valve assembly because it seems to get stuck in the closed position and works when I manually pull it open but seems very sticky. How do I know if I need to replace the resin tank and where do I find the correct one. Been searching around but I'm going in circles with all the google links.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-10, 06:19 PM
What part are you looking at replacing?
The brine float assembly might need a good cleaning on the metal rod that goes through the float up to the guide arm at the top.
Why are you thinking of replacing the resin?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: