Water filter will not turn.

Old 08-15-10, 06:09 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water filter will not turn.

I have a GE GXWH35F water filter that will not turn, I ran the well and got everything in the system, cold. usually that allows the filter to come off easily, but not tonight, it's like its welded together. Any ideas to get this thing off.
Thanks
Gregory

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-10, 06:22 PM
A
Very puzzling because that never turns off...or for that matter, never turns on. That is a cartridge filter. If you have water flowing somewhere, it is passing through the filter.

Check elsewhere.

Old 08-15-10, 06:24 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Turn on?
Does it have that little valve handle in the head?

the more moving plastic parts that you have in the water stream the more things to go wrong.

A very simple Amtek or Pentair filter with a pressure release in the head and 2 ball valves one before and one after works 100%
of the time with no problems.

Old 08-15-10, 09:33 PM
G
Sorry, my explanation was a little vague (I was pissed @ the damn filter) The system is well system, I have shutoffs before and after the filter, I turn the pump off after running for 10 minutes to get the filter cold, close the shutoffs and turn the filter housing to get the filter off but not tonight, it would not move, it's driving me crazy. Are there any other manufacturers that make a better system than GE.
Thanks
Gregory

Old 08-15-10, 10:48 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
A good one that I have used over the years is Pentek..
Some will call it Big Blue in either 10" or 20". There is a little red button in the head and really nothing else in the head other than the in and out.
Close the ball valves before and after and use of wrench after the red button has released the pressure and it should come off with a little force.. then when putting it back on with clean track and clean "O" ring and a touch of silicon on the "O" ring and the housing should go on as tight as the oil filter for your car or truck, just a touch past hand tight.
The only ones that I have had challenges with are ones that are not cared for over time.