whole house filter wont unscrew

Old 11-21-10, 11:47 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
whole house filter wont unscrew

i used the little plastic tool to try and unscrew the water filter and leaned on it pretty hard but it wont budge. i hate to try anymore for fear of breaking it

any secrets to making it budge and preventing such a thing again next year?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-10, 12:09 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you had it off before? Have you released pressure? Do you add any lubricant to the threads or o-rings? Did you hand-tighten it or use the wrench? Has it ever leaked around the top? How often hasw it been changed?

Old 11-21-10, 12:10 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
i used the little plastic tool to try and unscrew the water filter and leaned on it pretty hard but it wont budge. i hate to try anymore for fear of breaking it

any secrets to making it budge and preventing such a thing again next year?
Do you have a shut off valve before and after the filter in question?
If there is one before, close it and then open the cold at the kitchen sink.
Silicon works great in keeping the o ring in shape and also a little on the threads to help in getting the sump on and off.

Old 11-21-10, 12:10 PM
B
Remove the water pressure from the filter. Some filter housings have a button on top that when pressed will release the water pressure--of course you have to isolate the filter first. If you don't have the button and you can't isolate the filter--but with a faucet within the isolated segment-- then turn off the water where it enters the structure and open a faucet to relieve the pressure.

When you finally get the filter housing open be sure to use silicone grease on the o-ring before reinstalling to avoid the problem in the future.

Old 11-21-10, 01:33 PM
R
I agree w/ comments about assuring that pressure has been released. To make sure, it loosens by turning counter clockwise.

I encountered the same problem after installing a whole house water system. The installer had way over tightened the filter canister by hand, and the flimsy plastic tool would not release it. I put on a pair of rubber gripper gloves and had someone hold the plumbing connections to prevent breaking a PVC part. It came off doing that.

Old 11-21-10, 02:01 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
i had replaced it last year but either forgot about or didnt notice the pressure button. (so thats why there's a hole in the bracket lol) i do have valves to isolate it. still didnt budge so i used a rubber mallet and voila! gracias

Old 11-21-10, 03:07 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
i had replaced it last year but either forgot about or didnt notice the pressure button. (so thats why there's a hole in the bracket lol) i do have valves to isolate it. still didnt budge so i used a rubber mallet and voila! gracias
Good deal, now when it goes back on no tighter than an oil filter for the car or truck.