Whole house filter vs. under sink

Old 01-23-11, 10:50 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house filter vs. under sink

Hi,

I need to replace my Kohler under sink filter (too expensive), probably with a GE single stage, level 5. I'm not too crrazy about RO because of the complexity and this filter seems to have performance approaching RO from what I can tell and it's very reasonably priced. My water source is municipal so sediment is probably vey low.

I wanted to ask if there's any benefit to installing a whole house unit. My main comes into a wall that's part of the garage so I could probably access it fairly easily. I think the benefits for showering etc. are minimal and it would eliminate seperate filtering for the fridge which is not a big deal.

I'm leaning towards the undersink but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-11, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remember with whole house systems you are filtering a lot more than drinking water. While there are advantages to filtered water for showering (chlorine is bad for hair and skin) if you really want to you can get a separate filter for the shower head that is fairly inexpensive. For drinking water a point of use system is going to be much simpler. If you have a refrigerator with a built in water filter and dispenser just draw your water from there, otherwise I would suggest something like this Culligan filter system.

Old 02-12-11, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I prefer not to wash or bath in chlorinated water. How many times do you get water fron the kitchen sink to brush you teeth? How much bleach do you add to your washer when you have a load of colored clothes? Chlorine is not only bad for you body, it will also fade your clothes. This is why I prefer a whole house carbon filter.