omni filter softner

Old 02-25-11, 04:37 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
omni filter softner

Hello,

Anyone used the softner menards has on sale this weekend for $199? wonder what peoples thoughts or experiences have been with it and worth the $199.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-11, 02:27 PM
A
You get what you pay for....going cheap can be very costly....marketed to those who care little about their water, and understand it even less....ask yourself why are they get rid of (dumping) them?....

Old 02-26-11, 08:39 AM
R
I would have to agree with Andy. Going cheap will only cost more in the long run and cause a lot more problems in the meantime. Hire a professional and do it right the first time!

Old 02-27-11, 06:24 AM
A
There's always the Landlord Approach. "OK, you've got your softener, now shut up and pay your rent!"

Old 11-24-11, 07:25 AM
S
I'm looking for the same info,but...

Does anyone have negative Real Experience with the omni water softener. It is easy to bash something, without any real knowledge of the product.
My softener is 30 years old. I don't need a top of the line model.
I'm planning on getting one for $199.00
Water softening isn't rocket science and this looks like a serviceable unit.
Flashing lights, Bells and whistles are expensive and not necessary.

Old 11-24-11, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You get what you pay for.

More times than not the cheap ones are built to last a few years and then be replaced.

Now I am not saying that you should spend thousands, but if one pays cheap you will most likely be replacing it in a few years.

What brand is your 30 year unit?
A photo of that unit?

Old 11-24-11, 12:24 PM
S
30 years old

My softener was put together by a Century soft water. I think it is a local company that buys components and makes their own brand.
That is why I say it isn't rocket science. I got this one for free, over 20 years ago from a guy that had used it at his house for at least 10 years and replaced it, then gave it to me! I replaced the control valve(leaking) 10 years ago for about $100.00 and it still works fine now. I considered repacking the tank with new resin, but I am told I can save alot on salt if I get a newer softener. That is why I am looking at the Omni filter softener for $199. Either that, or find a newer one on the curb somewhere, waiting for the trash man. Yes I am cheep (poor) whatever.

Old 11-24-11, 01:30 PM
If the valve is a metered control, then replacing the resin would be the best choice.
Depending on the size of the tank as to how much resin you would need to rebed the system.
And save filling the land fill.

If I found the right one, I my self would not go there, looks like a cross between the Fleck 7000 bypass and the Autotrol 255 turned on its side...

I have seen some really cheap S... come out of China ... stuff that I would not even give to people that I did not like.

Old 11-24-11, 04:42 PM
S
Not metered, timer only, and....

My old softener is timed regeneration only, not metered, and I am told the drop tube in the resin tank is not a efficient set up. Good quality resin would cost $100 +, The plastic brine tank is getting brittle (Duct tapped for now) to the point of splitting down the side someday.
These add up to a new softener, but finances have prohibited spending $800-$1000+ for a "quality" name brand unit many on this forum are suggesting.
I will inspect the Omni before buying it, but I suspect it has an autotrol valve just like the one I have now.
I am not totally ignorant of potential quality issues. A cheap valve might leak, but if parts are available, I can fix it. Omni is a common name in the filter industry and I suspect parts will not be a problem. Again, I am waiting for a specific example of a bad Omni softener. Anyone??

Old 11-24-11, 06:22 PM
In the 23+ years this is the first time that I have heard of Omni softener, I know that the filter housings that they make are cheap and are plastic... not lasting long.
So if the Softeners are any thing like the filter housings..

Some thing tells me that even if some one does have a bad omni softener that is not going to matter.

Ebay has full systems for under 600.00 and most likely free shipping to where you are at.

Old 11-25-11, 10:22 AM
S
I got one today

I am sorry to go against the conventional wisdom, but I had to try this Omni Softener.
I picked one up today and it looks good guys!
It has a wound fiberglass tank, just like most all do.
It uses the same looking valve set up as the Autotrol
The valve is a laid down design, but the US patent #7,610,933 looks like a legitimate design.
Brass, stainless, and plastic parts like everybody else.
The brine tank is the same material and thickness as the one I have now.
Has a metered system to save salt and water
I will install it and let you know what I think.
Heck I can't even get a Fleck control valve for the $199 this whole system cost me!
If I get burned on this one you will be the first to know.
Somebody has to break new ground, I'll be the guinea pig.

Old 11-25-11, 10:07 PM
So what box store was it from?

Old 11-30-11, 02:20 PM
S
Menards black friday weekend sale + vlave is made by Fleck

Menards had it last year and this year during black Friday weekend.

Omni Emailed me back and said this softener has been offered by them for a little over a year now.

They said the control valve is a Fleck valve and has a 5 year warranty and is $78.00 as a part if it does go out after the warranty.

It sounds better and better as I get more info about it.

Old 11-30-11, 04:16 PM
Pentair bought out Autotrol some years back.

From the photo that I seen it is not a fleck valve body but autotrol...

Let us know in 6 years.