Kinetico 2020c installation help

Old 10-11-09, 07:42 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 2020c installation help

Hi,

I am shortly installing a Kinetico 2020c but there is no installation manual included. Does anyone have one that they can email me (electronic format) or a link to one (I cannot find one on the internet)?

If no one has one available, is it that hard to do? It is a High Flow softener for a mains pressure water system in my house. The softener has already been fitted with the Kinetico 'High Flow' kit (22mm pipes). Do I just plumb it in (inlet, outlet with bypass valve. Also drain and overflow pipes to plumb in)?

Any help appreciated...

Old 10-11-09, 02:49 PM
A
I can help you. Send me a PM.

Old 09-23-10, 07:03 AM
A
I too have recently acquired a lightly used Kinetico 2020c and have the same issue - the user manual provided with the machine provides no installation details except how to initiate a manual regeneration. It seems I have to pass the task of installation to a Kinetico agent which seems a bit excessive. Is there an installation manual available ? How do I set the water hardness or salt settings ? It's a HF model and I understand it is possible to amend to HE mode to match my plumbing but there's no instructions on how to do this either (I assume the resin tanks are the same for both HE and HF).

Am beginning to wish I'd bought an Autotrol, Fleck or Clack based system !!
Any help appreciated.
Andy

Old 09-23-10, 01:41 PM
A
What are you water quality test results? Can you do basic plumbing? Do you have a prefilter housing? Not really difficult to install with a knowledge of the basics. Even if you went with a Kinetico technician, it might run you a couple of hundred. You most likely saved a lot more than that on the purchase right? I tried responding to the OP but he never replied so I assume he either figured it out or gave up.

Old 09-23-10, 02:22 PM
A
Hi,
Live in an area with a quality supply but very hard - 330 ppm as calcium carbonate (20 USA grains?). I don't think a pre-filter is relevant for our area - I certainly haven't come across that as being required previously. Having done reading elsewhere and reasonably handy have already done the required plumbing with bypass valves, in / out, drain and overflow so all ready to go. Got the Kinetico at a good price, 3 years old but only used for part of that, visually like new - hopefully the insides are good too ! I just want to connect the pipes and go but I can't get the required info on how to configure the damn box. Maybe the other guy figured it out but I'm still wary - I don't want to start fiddling with something I have little experience of. I'd rather sell it on and get something else than break it. If you can help with how to set it up that would be most appreciated. Primarily I need to understand how to configure it for hardness and salt settings (if applicable). Once that's done I'll connect it up, do a manual regenrration of both cylinders and see how I get on.

Any help on set-up would be much appreciated.

Regards
Andy

Old 09-23-10, 04:54 PM
A
Thanks. The 2020 is recommended for 20 gpg maximum. So the disc on the top of the valve should be a number 8. You can see the disc through the lens. I don't recommend discs 7 or 8 because they will regenerate very often. It will work but may regenerate very often.

These are packed beds (no freeboards) so a prefilter is required (sediment on well, carbon on city). the reason is there is no freeboard to backwash sediment out that might get into the resin tanks. You can reun it without but also run the risk of future problems.

The salt setting should be left alone at one pound. So if it was used before, it should already be set and you need to to nothing...

I can send you more info if you email me.

Old 07-09-11, 07:29 AM
H
KINETICO BLOCK SALT NON ELECTRIC WATER SOFTENER Installtion Help

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I would appreciate any help for a softener i want to install after moving home.

I have already done the plumbing, fitted the unit but the problem is 2x4kg blocks only lasts 5 days which is not normal.

This is the information I have:

Meter Disc: 6 (disc installed when at old home)
PPM (at new home): 300 (measured with a testing kit using water from mains feed tap)

I cant add a picture but I found a link to what looks identical (guts look similar to 2020c model):
KINETICO BLOCK SALT NON ELECTRIC WATER SOFTENER | eBay UK

What I'm basically trying to find out is:

What disc should I be using (i think it should be a 4 or 5)?
If I change the disc, do I have to change anything else in Level 1 head?
How do i find out what my salt setting is and how do i adjust it if required?

Thanks for reading.

Old 07-09-11, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hcv121
Hi, I know this is an old post, but I would appreciate any help for a softener i want to install after moving home.

I have already done the plumbing, fitted the unit but the problem is 2x4kg blocks only lasts 5 days which is not normal.

This is the information I have:

Meter Disc: 6 (disc installed when at old home)
PPM (at new home): 300 (measured with a testing kit using water from mains feed tap)

I cant add a picture but I found a link to what looks identical (guts look similar to 2020c model):
KINETICO BLOCK SALT NON ELECTRIC WATER SOFTENER | eBay UK

What I'm basically trying to find out is:

What disc should I be using (i think it should be a 4 or 5)?
If I change the disc, do I have to change anything else in Level 1 head?
How do i find out what my salt setting is and how do i adjust it if required?

Thanks for reading.
You state the use of 2x4 kb blocks of salt is not normal. If you have a leak this may cause the unit to regen more often than normal. To test, turn off the main water supple to the house. Do not open any faucets for about 5 minutes. If you here water flow when you turn the main supply back on, you have a leak.

Old 07-09-11, 03:07 PM
A
Before any thing can be suggested, one would need to know your water's hardness in grains per gallon, or ppm (17.1 x 1gpg). On a disc 6, it is regenerating every 97 gallons, so depending on how much water you use, 17 pounds of salt in five days may be right. Again, get the water test results for us.

You may need to change the disc in the level one and the salt float setting but nothing else.

Old 07-10-11, 03:06 AM
H
Hi Andy,

Thanks for replying, sorry I'm in the UK so I'll try and put imperial & metic measurements in my notes. I know I dont have a leak, the mains line was replaced 2 months ago due to corrosion and when the taps are all turned of the water meter dial does not move unlike before when I did have a leak.

Is this not what you want?

So this would be 300ppm / 17.1 = 17.54 gr/gal

My water company publish: Total Hardness as CaCO3 = 296 mg/l

Can I clarify something regarding gallons because I think our measurements are different, see conversion below:

UK: 4.54 litres = 1 gallon
US: 3.79 litres = 1 gallon

So am I correct you're saying 97 gallons would be:
97 gallons x 3.79 = 367.63 litres

Because if I use the UK Gallons it's vastly different:
97 gallons x 4.54 = 440.38 litres

If our litres are the same may we use litres so we dont get confused with the conversions?

Anyway, back to the problem in hand, the reason I think i'm using too much salt is when I looked at the manual 2020c the figures dont seem to stack up. Here's a link to the PDF http://www.kinetico.co.uk/files/2020c_tech_sheet.pdf and you see the figures at the end of the PDF.

I have checked my mains water meter, I dont use 300 litres of water a day, but for arguements sake, say on average I do, I figure this as my formula for salt consumption, first part is:

how many regerations will I get from salt = weight of salt blocks / salt used per generation

So my complete formula is (you most likely have a proper, more elegant, formula for calulating this)
(weight of salt blocks / salt used per generation) / number of regenerations per day = number of days salt should last

So putting some numbers in (from the PDF)
(8kg / 0.3kg) / 1 = 26.67

Even if I used 0.5 kg of salt per generation I would get
(8kg / 0.5kg) / 1 = 16

I think I should be in the range of 16 to 26 days for a 8kg block of salt considering the number of litres I consume per day. I hope you can see why I think my salt consumption is high, let me know if my basic logic for my formula is wrong.

Last edited by hcv121; 07-10-11 at 05:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: