Kinetico 60 is not accessing brine tank

Old 07-20-11, 09:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico 60 is not accessing brine tank

Kinetico 60 system is 20 yrs old. A few months ago I noticed that the salt level was not going down and eventually water became hard. I opened the unit and removed the scales from the valves, plungers, etc. and slightly greased all rubber components. After manually regenerating the unit, it appeared that the water level in the tank did not go up or down.
I took out all the salt from the tank and cleaned the components. Again, I regenerated the unit and no water was sent into the tank. It remained bone dry.
Any ideas as to what is happening?

Old 07-20-11, 03:15 PM
A
Lack of brine draw can happen in a couple of ways. The float mechanism is clogged, but since you cleaned that, that makes it less likely.

Most commonly is the brine venturi in the valve, which is quite small, can get clogged as well. This can be cleaned by disassembly and using a very small paperclip to clear the hole.

Also the check balls are not in place but that usually happens when a valve is re-assmebled incorrectly.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 07-20-11, 05:19 PM
A
I cleaned out the valve, but it didn't seem too bad. However, One of the float balls was not in the correct place. After reassembly with both balls on the small pedestals, it appears to be operating better. How far down should the water level go while going thru a brine rinse? It went down to about 1/2 inch below the top of the tray. When it went to the next cycle, it was back up to the original spot at the float (2" differential). I hope that seems about right.

Old 07-20-11, 06:42 PM
A
If you manually regen it, after a few minutes, remove the brine connection from the valve and you should be getting strong enough suction to pull hard on your finger.

The lever drops according to the float setting and the adjuster tube. It sounds like it is functional but can't say if it is set according to water conditions.

Andy Christensen

Old 07-22-11, 06:47 AM
A
Well, it appears it is not regenerating automatically now. Also, with the manual regens, it did not seem to be softening the water. Any ideas as to what I should look at next?

Old 07-22-11, 01:50 PM
A
Put it into manual regen again and after a few minutes, remove the brine line from the valve to see if there is strong suction...enough to pull your finger in.

Let me know if it does.

Andy Christensen

Old 07-22-11, 02:13 PM
A
There is suction, but not real strong. If I keep my finger on the tube for a few seconds it will start pulling and then "pop" when I pull it off, but not real strong.

Old 07-22-11, 09:26 PM
A
Ok.

The venturi inside the elbow is slightly clogged. Disassemble the valve again and try blow air through it until you can see daylight. It is a very small hole. If air doesn't do it, use a very small paper clip and carefully probe it thought the larger diameter end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: