Microline RO Membrane problem

Old 09-05-11, 03:56 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Microline RO Membrane problem

All right gentlemen I need input on a problem we are experiencing. Anyone using Clack/Microline RO systems may be experiencing this problem so I need your input. So far not much help from the supplier or manufacturer.
This is the scenario
1. TDS applications range from 280ppm - 1000ppm
2. Microline TFC 35gpd membrane
3. 35gpd flow restrictor
4. Automatic shutoffs working fine
5. 3 gallon storage tank
6. All seals, check valves, etc seem to be fine.
7. Most tanks are under the kitchen sinks with, short runs to the drain
8. PH is 6.8 - 7.4
9. Numerous membrane changes and the same results on 6 different RO's

Problem: The best product water we can get from these membranes to produce is 80% rejection. Quite often it is 75% or worse. When 90% + should be the norm.

Any experience with this problem? Your input is appreciated.
RJ

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-11, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Hi RJ,

Is this the rejection rate right out of the membrane?

Turn off the tank valve so you get no tank water. Then run the dispenser for 10 minutes or so so you get water right from the memnbrane.

If its 90% or higher all is normal.

TDS Calculator

Mike NJ

Old 09-05-11, 05:00 PM
R
This is the product water directly from membrane. These are all brand new Microline RO's less than 2 months old. Also replaced a membrane in one RO that was about 1 yr old, same result.
RJ

Old 09-06-11, 07:00 PM
Here are a few thoughts for you.

First, what you are seeing could be the result of water pressure well below the membrane spec. Does your RO system include a pressure gauge? If so, what does it read?

The flow restrictor may be mismatched with the membrane

The problem may be with the membrane housings. Check the ratio of permeate to waste water when your pressure tank isn't attached. If your pressure approximates the spec pressure, and your water temperature is in the 70's F, you should have something near 4:1 .

Often we find customer who have issues involving TDS readings, the problem often is faulty readings due to problems with the meter or issues with methods. How are you taking samples?

Russ @ BFS

Old 09-06-11, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Well there is a note in thier performance data that says they only need to be at 75%.

IMO those inline tds readers are not that good. I use a handheld one myself.

Here is specs and trouble shooting tips.

http://microlinero.com/downloadcente...TFC335_PDS.pdf

Plus read the cause of high TDS in the trouble shooting tips here. Check all avenues. Ya never know....

http://microlinero.com/downloadcente...335_MANUAL.pdf

The membrane was changed from a 35 to a 50gpd unit showing that part #. They say no changes need to be made to the overall unit...Hmmm....

Is the membrane an actuall microline clark?

I get my membranes here. They have the actuall microline. Compare prices with others who sell them. I buy my stuff here. The replacement is $65. Possible its the membranes????

Replacement water filter cartridges for Culligan, Cuno, EcoWater, Hydrotech, Microline Clark and others

Also I only buy these RO units. They garantee 90% or they will do what they have to to make it right. One of the best companys I have ever worked with.

Reverse Osmosis Product Page - Premium RO Drinking Water Filters Systems, Portable Purifiers, Filtration Parts | APEC Water

4-7 yrs on the dow membranes.Every unit is tested before its shipped.

Faqs

F.A.Q. Reverse Osmosis Filtration System Drinking Water Filters for Ultimate Water Purification

IMO if your installing the microlines for customers you may want to look elsewhere.

I hate call backs......

Mike NJ