Short, fat resin tanks?

Old 11-07-11, 05:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Short, fat resin tanks?

Any reason these can't be used instead of tall & skinny?

A 16"x23" tank would fit better in a crawl-space than a 8"x44".

Will it work?

Old 11-08-11, 01:07 PM
R
I've found a company that can supply 12"x29" and 16"x23" tanks with a Fleck 9000 1" SXT. These are 1.9 ft3 tanks to be filled with 1 ft3 of resin.

Any concerns? Flow rates, timing, efficiency, let through, etc?

Old 11-08-11, 02:05 PM
B
I think the primary problem will be that less of the resin is effectively used and less will be regenerated. With the traditional tank a cone of resin is used where the cone point is at the bottom of the tank. This occurs because the water tends to flow by the most direct route to the basket at the bottom of the tank. Use of gravel in the bottom of the tank alleviates the tendency a bit. The Vortech tank design is a specific attempt to reduce this effect. As you make the tank shorter and wider I think this tendency will increase.

Old 11-09-11, 01:16 AM
R
Thanks, Bob. I was worried about that.

The supplier said a 16" dia x 23" tall tank would perform poorly but thinks the 12x23" 1.9 ft3 with 1 ft3 of resin will be fine.

It doesn't ship with gravel but with only ~50% resin fill it seems like there's plenty of room to add gravel.

Do you have a recommendation on type of gravel, where to get, and how much to add?

Or would it be better to just order a bit more resin and fill the tank more than 50% with resin?

Old 11-09-11, 06:09 AM
B
Originally Posted by rustybx View Post
Do you have a recommendation on type of gravel, where to get, and how much to add?

Or would it be better to just order a bit more resin and fill the tank more than 50% with resin?
Gravel is heavy and relatively expensive to buy from internet suppliers of water treatment equipment because of the shipping. But I would ask the supplier of the tanks. for a quote. The other alternative is to check with local water treatment companies-because they typically get their shipments by motor freight and in my experience they are very competitive for items like this.

With a 12" diameter tank about 20#/tank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: