Sediment replacing filter constantly

Old 04-25-12, 10:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sediment replacing filter constantly

We just moved in to a new house that is 4 years old. There is a whole house sediment filter between the well tank and the water softener. There appears to be sediment and rust color in prefiltered water. The 3 month filters are only lasting 16 days. I even tried different brand filters. No difference. HELP!!

Any thoughts?? I did flush out the well tank in the house and the water looked fine.

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-12, 12:26 PM
B
With lots of sediment in your well water you may want to consider an automatic backwashing sediment filter. They work the same way your softener does with an automatic valve that backwashes the media at night when there is no water usage. Unlike the softener no regenerant (salt) is required.

Here is one source:
Sediment Removal, sediment filter systems, sediment filters, chemsorb filter, zeolite filter

In selecting a filter you want to ensure that the filter capacity in gpm is equal to your highest usage and that the backwash flow does not exceed the amount of water delivered on a continuous basis by your well pump.

Old 04-25-12, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
A cheaper alternative is a Rusco filter with a manual flush ball valve. The micron ratings range from 15-500+ depending what you want to filter.

I use a 30 micron filter and have now issues. I have rust colored water but not a lot of sediment. Just a type of plant algae that I never found what it is.

I will be installing one of these down the road.

Note that the gpm is Min. 1gpm preferred 10 gpm Max 20 gpm.

Here is a site that has them. Looks like the Rusco site is having issues. I found another link for reference.

Rusco Sediment Water Filters and Rusco Spin-Down Sediment Separation Filtration

And a cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tqU9WuYAQhk#! Mike NJ

Old 04-29-12, 10:51 AM
R
Are you losing pressure in that 16 day period? Is there a lot of sediment in the bowl when changed? Iron will oxidize on the filter but that is normal and is does not necessarily mean it needs to be changed. If the filter is plugging up with ferric iron that is a different issue all together and needs to be addressed with an iron filter. If there is heavy sediment, sand, particulate matter there may be a problem with the well. Sometimes hooking a hose up to the boiler drain at the well tank and flushing it for several pump cycles can help alleviate sediment build up in the well tank. If you have a steel casing on the well these become corroded over time and cause sediment problems. A well company can flush the well and may need to pull the pump to acidize the well and clean out the sediment.
RJ