My softened water tastes like salt

Old 12-23-12, 02:01 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My softened water tastes like salt

Is this normal to have a little salty taste in softened water? I have a twin tank, and it's been about 1000 gal since the last regen.

Old 12-23-12, 05:39 PM
B
In a word--no.

But if the unit has been operating for 1000 gallons on the same tank it is also difficult to understand how the source could be the softener.

A malfunctioning softener will sometimes yield salty water for a period after regeneration but that would dissapear after 10's of gallons of water flow through the softener.

Old 12-23-12, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Votes on 823 Posts
I have never in my life tasted soft water that tasted "the same" as hard water... or even bottled water, for that matter.

Old 12-24-12, 09:37 AM
I
Bob, that was my thought too. I initially had it set to a 24,000 grain instead of the 48,000 I have, but once I changed that I thought it would go away. I suppose it's not as bad as it was, but I can still taste some salt. Is there anything else that would cause this?

What if I said it tasted more like baking soda than salt? Would that make a difference?

Old 12-24-12, 10:00 AM
B
Water softeners change the chemical composition of water by exchanging hardness ions--calcium and magnesium-- for sodium. That does change the taste of the water and some people notice it more than others. Sodium ions in water is not salt--salt is a chemical compound of sodium and chlorine or sodium chloride.

If you don't like the taste of softened water but want the benefits for bathing, laundry, and ease of cleaning there are two common approaches:

1. Install a separate faucet for drinking water that is supplied from the water supply prior to the softener; or
2. Install a reverse osmosis (RO) system for your drinking water that treats the softened water. RO produces water that has 90-95% less dissolved solids than the supply water.

When you say you have 48,000 grains:

1. Programming of a twin softener is based on the grains of capacity per tank of resin--not the combined capacity;
2. The capacity of a tank of resin is determined by the amount of resin in the tank and the salt dose used to regenerate it.

So if you have a 1 cubic foot tank of resin (typically a 9 x 48 resin tank) the nominal capacity of 1 cubic foot of resin is 32,000 grains. However, that capacity is only achieved with a very salt inefficient regeneration salt dose of 18 lbs of salt/cubic foot of resin. For installs with no iron or manganese I recommend a salt dose of no more that 6 lbs/cubic foot of resin which yields a capicity of ~ 20,000 grains.

Last edited by Bob999; 12-24-12 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add information
Old 12-24-12, 12:43 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If it is a very weak salty taste it is possible as there are some people that can taste at the very low levels.
I know of some that can taste iron in the water at .2ppm, while most do not there are a hand full that can.
So if the salt taste is very very light and in the back ground it could be that the salt load per regeneration is a bit high and by cutting it down could lower that salt taste.
Normally when the system has a problem the salt taste is strong and that is either from high water level in salt tank and the salt not getting rinsed out or there was not the pressure needed to rinse out the salt in a regeneration cycle.

Old 12-24-12, 09:01 PM
I
So what setting do I need to adjust for the amount of salt per regen? I have the fleck 9100sxt.

Actually, I could probably read through the manual again to find the setting, but if someone knows offhand that would help. Thanks.

Old 12-25-12, 06:46 AM
B
You said you tasted salt after 1000 gallons had flowed through the tank. Under those circumstances adjusting the salt dose will not affect the taste.

I think that Akpsdvan didn't read the entire thread carefully.

But to answer your question the salt dose is controlled by the time setting for the brine fill--longer time increases the salt dose. I don't advise fiddling with the brine fill time in your situation--I don't think it will solve the problem and is more likely just to introduce other problems.

Old 12-25-12, 08:12 AM
I
Oh, yeah. that's already lowered since I have the SST60 resin.

Funny thing is, I just switched tanks last night, and I don't taste the salt as much.

Old 12-25-12, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Then some thing did not happen like it should have in the cleaning of the tank that you where on, low water pressure , some extra brine...

Old 12-27-12, 01:01 PM
I
Could be low water pressure. Thanks for the help guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: