Water softener installation

Old 03-02-13, 02:36 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water softener installation

I will be installing a sediment filter, 40,000 grain softener, and whole house filter (in this order) soon and I have a question about the supply line.

I have a 1" water supply line coming in from my well, best I can tell, I get about 6 or 7gpm. Just after the pressure tank, it is reduced to 3/4" and then goes on to the WH and the rest of the house. Someone had a softener hooked up before and they just tapped into the 3/4" lines. Should I tap into the 1" supply line after the pressure tank, run it to my filters and softener, and then back to the 3/4" into the WH and the rest of the house? I noticed that most softners use 3/4" but since I am going to be running filters I thought maybe I should use the 1" to try and keep the volume up.

Also, how fine of a filter can I use after the softener? We only have one bathroom and two people so our demand should not be too much.

Old 03-02-13, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What is the whole house filter? Is it a carbon filter, a carbon tank or an auto backwash filter?

Old 03-03-13, 05:51 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I haven't purchased it yet but I was planning on just getting one of the "big blue" cartridge type filters and use a cartridge that is as fine as possible while still allowing a flow rate that will supply all my fixtures. would you recommend something different?

Old 03-03-13, 06:30 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Unless you have a visible sediments problem (sediment cloggs up aerators or can be see in a glass fo water) I would not put a sediment before the softener. The softener will catch some sediment and if you place one after the softener, you will not have to clean or change it as often. A 20 micron washable sediment filter will work very well. You can spray it off with a garden hose about 3-4 before having to replace it. For better flow rate, get a 20" Big Blue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: