Kiinetico Model 60 Regeneration Water Usage

Old 08-06-13, 06:10 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kiinetico Model 60 Regeneration Water Usage

We have noticed our water bills getting higher and higher every month. Our most recent bill shows 400+ gallons of water per day. In trying to break down the usage, I am trying to figure out how many gallons of water it uses to regenerate our softener and how often it is done every day.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-06-13, 06:34 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

On the top of your softener, there should be a disk (inside a clear cover) with a number written on it. What is that number?
The Kinetico 60 softeners regen after so much water is comsumed (based on the number disk) and not scheduled.
My unit at home has gone weeks without regen with the family away and just me home.

Old 08-06-13, 06:45 AM
B
Thanks for your quick reply. I will have to look when I get home tonight. It is an obvious number that one of my kids might be able to tell me. Are you talking on top of the unit where the water lines connect to the unit?

Old 08-06-13, 07:30 AM
N
It should be pretty easy to spot the number.
This first picture is not of my unit, but will indicate what is what.
Name:  KIN HEAD PAWL INDICATOR.jpg
Views: 4937
Size:  50.0 KB

This second pic is of my unit when I first took ownership of the house. It's more then 25yrs old and hasn't been cleaned for at least 5yrs prior to the photo being taken. The numbers are still visable if you look for them.
Name:  Greater Sudbury-20120211-00442CROP.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  52.8 KB

Old 08-06-13, 10:27 AM
R
The model K-60 has a master cycle of 1200 gallons with a #1 disc. So whatever disc you have, divide that into the 1200 gallons. (ex-if you have a #4 disc, it will run every 300 gallons). The softener only uses about 38 gallons to regenerate, and will take 45 min to run. I would check your toilet tanks for leaks into the bowls. Use food coloring in the tank and see if the color comes into the bowl without flushing the toilet. This can be a big water waster. Also check and see if you have a hose connected to a outside faucet. Sometimes it can be left on and the sprayer at the other end of the hose will leak water. Hope this helps.

Rolly

Old 08-08-13, 12:33 PM
B
Sorry about the delay. I completely spaced off replying. The disk is a #4.

John

Old 08-08-13, 12:41 PM
B
Rolly77,

The leaking toilets is one of my pet peeve's. I replace the flappers every 6 months or so. I will try the food coloring thing overnight to see if I am missing something.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-09-13, 04:08 AM
N
Your #4 disk will run a bit more frequent then my #3. Might be worth doing a water test (send sample to a lab) to confirm if you require a #4 or can step down. Being on city water, I would hope you can step down to a lower number disk.

As for other possible issues.... It's pretty sad I can give you a list of leaking items to look for (the joys of buying an old house).
- Toilets will be number 1 for water consumption and leaking.
- Fausets (shower/tub followed by other fausets)
- Washing machine hoses
- Outside fausets (garden hose, etc)
- Gate valves and plumbing connections within the house (older valves can start to leak from the packing where the handle exits the valve.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: