Change Well Water Treatment System

Old 08-23-13, 11:13 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Change Well Water Treatment System

Almost a yr ago, I (and my plumber) installed a new water treatment system (recommended by vender) to address raw well water quality of: pH 7.1 (1 of 4 tests prior to installation was a 6.7; others were 7 or above); Fe .6 ppm; Mn .6 ppm; hardness 433 ppm; TDS 868 ppm; sulfates 250 ppm; H2S evidenced by smell, silver jewelry blackened, pitted fixtures; bacterial Fe evidenced by occasional slimey orange buildup in toilet tanks. The system installed includes (in order from the well head): (1) chem feeder (not on demand) for pH using soda ash (no longer using after 1st 6 months); (2) Fe-S-Mn filter Fleck 7000SXT (with air injection) on 9x48 tank with 1 cf Pyrolox (initially set to backwash every other day); (3) softener, 64K gr - Fleck 7000SXT on 12x48 tank with 2 cf resin (backwashes on metered volume); (4) RO system in kitchen for drinking water only.

The new system seemed to work well the 1st 3 or 4 months. I then noticed blackened silver again. About a week later, I talked with vender who suggested I change the filter backwash to every day. I made the change but have seen no difference. Later, I quit using the chem feeder thinking that maybe I never needed the pH treatment, as water is generally 7 or above. Currently, harder water is noticeable based on feel and a little scale. Apparently, my well will not produce enough water volume (produces about 11 or 12 GPM) to adequately backwash the Pyrolox. This seems a common problem that I should have discovered sooner, and I suspect the original vender knew it was a problem as he had my well GPM.

I talked with another vender who recommended the following change/correction to the system (in order from well head): (1) new on demand pump to feed H2O2 (plumbed in very close to filter); (2) change filter media from Pyrolox to Catalytic Carbon, backwash every 3 days, and reset flow control to 5GPM. I think I would also have to load new resin in the softener, and install new membrane and filters in the RO all may be fouled.

Id rather not make another expensive mistake. Id like to maximize use of my current equipment. Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks!

Old 08-23-13, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Pyrolox media is very heavy and as a result, your well can not properly backwash the media. I've said the same thing for 20+ yrs. Using carbon is the best choice because of it's light weight compared to other iron/sulfur reducing medias. I have not used H2O2 but it does the same thing as chlorine.

Old 08-23-13, 06:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks biermech. At least I have some agreement on a new approach. Any feel for whether chlorine or H2O2 is more effective?

Old 08-23-13, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure but I know for a fact that chlorine works and it is available at a lot of different places. The test kit for chlorine can be picked up at a lot of places as well. I have just never used H2O2 even though I have heard it works well. I got my start in water treatment in the Austin area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: