Considering a water softener...

Old 09-09-13, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Considering a water softener...

Hello! New home owner here. I have a split-level twinhome and our city's water is about 23 gpg. It's very hard. I have been considering installing a water softener. But I would like to know the cost upfront. Can someone tell me how much I can expect for the following costs:
1. hiring someone to install the softener (or could I theoretically do it myself?)
2. the water softener itself (OK with something medium-quality)
3. the cost of the salts (how much do they cost and how often do you have to replace?)

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-09-13, 08:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 840 Posts
You did not give many specifics so I can only respond very generally.

1. Installation cost depends on your location and your house and it's plumbing. Installing a softener yourself is not particularly difficult if you are familiar with plumbing. The cost to hire and difficulty to do it yourself depends on many things. Where will you put the softener? Where is the main water line you need to connect to? How difficult will it be to run the piping? ...

2. Water softeners are available in many different sizes, qualities and brands. You can get something from a big box store for $400 or $500 or you could get one sold by an installer for well over a thousand. I have a cheapie from a big box store that has worked fine for five years though I am sure a water company will say you need a much more expensive model.

3. Salt is generally inexpensive. Plain softener salt is about $5 for a 40 lb bag in my area. There are several different types of salt. Plain sodium chloride, then there are potassium salts and salts that help remove more iron from your water which cost more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: