Brand new GE water softener NO water coming to house, salt tank full of water

Old 09-22-13, 10:46 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brand new GE water softener NO water coming to house, salt tank full of water

Hello,
I have a GE 30,000 water softener that the mortgage company installed as part of the agreement to purchase my house 3 months ago. I live in Florida and have well water that has very high iron and is extremely hard. I have recently become aware of many things:
1. This softener is probably not powerful enough to handle my water (only myself and daughter in the home, but water quality is so bad).
2. This appears to be something that is supposed to placed indoors, not out in the Florida sun.
3. They removed the iron filter, which is apparently absolutely necessary.
4. It cost about $500, not the $3000 that the mortgage company led me to believe.
I understand that this softener will not be the right solution for me in the long run. However, I am a single mother and just moved to Florida less than a year ago. have spent every penny I had between the move and getting into this house. I'm hoping to get my current issues resolved until I can at least come up with the money for another solution.
The softener appeared to be working fine for about 5-6 weeks. After that, I started getting low to no water pressure in the house. I now have no water at all, unless I bypass the softener. I discovered that I had a salt bridge, broke it up and set to recharge. Waited the recommended two hours, no water. I discovered that the salt tank is full of water. This was not the case before the recharge. I checked the drain hoses and cleaned the venturi assembly. Everything looks fine. I have no idea what else to do.
I am hoping somebody can help me figure this out and possibly recommend a better system?
Any info would be appreciated.
Maggie

Model
GE 40,000 Grain Water Softener-GXSH40V at The Home Depot

Old 09-22-13, 10:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Without knowing actually what your water "is" it's hard to say what would be a good system or what to change in yours. First I suggest contacting your counties Health or Environmental Services Dept. and have them do a chemical analysis of your well water. There is a nominal fee and they will come out and take a sample of your well water and test it at their lab. The reason I suggest this is they are a government agency are not trying to sell you filtration systems so I trust the results will be unbiased. Once you have the results you will have real numbers to help determine if you have the right system for your water.

Do you have a sediment filter? Do you have trouble with sediment or other visible solids in your water?

Old 09-22-13, 11:08 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Now here is an idea... there is now a extra screen in the upper basket and if it if plugged you can say good night to water in the house and lots of water in with the salt.

Find your book and look at the parts break down and find the upper basket and screen and remove and clean... if there is sand you might think about a pre filter before the softener.

Old 09-22-13, 01:31 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I definitely have sediment issues. I'm planning on putting a filter on ASAP. That screen you described sounds sooooo promising. I will check as soon as it stops raining.
Thanks!

Old 09-22-13, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
You must remove the valve from the tank to access the basket. You need to be carefull not to pull the distributer tube up when removing.

Is there not a warranty on the unit that its new? There must be and it would be in your best interest to not touch it and find out who to call for service...

Old 09-23-13, 02:43 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I agree. The unit should have a warranty to it and suggest you call GE. They will dispatch a service tech at their cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: