Is a sediment filter needed on a water softener.

Old 09-22-13, 02:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is a sediment filter needed on a water softener.

How can I tell if I need a sediment filter to be between source and my water filter/softener? The installation instructions that I have both show one, although it is not mentioned. I purchased a Kenmore softener as well as a kenmore whole house filter. It seems that sediment filters are not terribly expensive, however, I am on city water and don't want to waste money if I don't need to. so how do i know if i need it? Would I actually see sediment in my water? is 30 microns perceptible?

also: any recommendations. I was reading a review online of a filter that had a 1" inlet/outlet but the review mentioned that the internal components brought that down to 1/4" this is bad, right?

what should I look for to help me decide?

thanks!

Old 09-22-13, 10:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If you are on city water and the water is clear of any kind of sediment then why put a pre filter?

Old 09-23-13, 04:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If you don't know whether or not you need a sediment filter you probably don't. If you had a sediment problem it would be pretty evident when you filled a glass with water or drew a bath and in general you will not need one if you get your water from a municipal water supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: