GE SmartWater water softener does not complete regeneration cycle

Old 11-05-13, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE SmartWater water softener does not complete regeneration cycle

I have a GE SmartWater water softener that starts Recharge, but I don't hear the water coming thru the drain hose anymore. The model # is GXSF40H. The water coming out of the faucets has a small amount of rust(iron). We have the ferrous iron, which I am told does not filter out easy, which I can agree with since the incoming water from the well goes thru 2 filters first, a 5 micron and then a 10 micron, before it reaches the water softener, and we still have some rust coming thru the faucets now. Our iron is 40 grains hardness and that's what I have the softener set at. We use a salt pellet that has rust remover in it.
I've tried checking the drain hose and it doesn't seem to be clogged. I cleaned the venturi components and there wasn't much there that could be clogging things up. I poked a broom handle down into the salt and down near the bottom there is some water, how much I don't know. I tried the diagnostic where it shows what cycle the Recharge is in and it seems it stops at the "brine" cycle and stays there for a long time. I don't think it is going past this stage because the softener goes out of the Recharge cycle like its finished the job. I live quite a distance from the nearest city and getting a repairman to come out is next to impossible. I don't know much about repairing this sort of problem. I have the manual and followed the directions but still I don't think the softener is working properly. Thanks for any advice.
Kathleen

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-13, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 33 Posts
You would need to take the valve apart and inspect the gaskets and disk. Possibly rebuild the venturi.. Check the restrictor in the discharge line for blockage also...

How old is the unit? It may be more cost effective to replace the unit...

Read here

Softenerparts.com

Watch here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-rcked1qBg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtnBC3KqCfhf3zSPKlGfBhg

Old 11-05-13, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A couple of thing caught me eye while reading your post. First, you should have the 10 micron filter followed by the 5 micron. The way you have it now, the 5 mic catches everything while the 10 micro catches nothing. If the hardness is 40, setting the unit to 40 is not right. Having iron, you need to hardness 3 GPG for every part of iron. So if you have 1 ppm iron, that means you have 43 GPG. You would need to set the unit up to 45. If you follow the drain line toward the valve you will see an elbow held on by a clip. Remove the cilp and the elbow. Look inside the elbow and you will find the backwash flow control. a lot of times the flow control will get clogged with debris which causes the unit not to run water to the drain.

Old 11-05-13, 11:26 AM
I'll see if that might be the problem. The unit is about 7 years old. Thanks for the advice and the links.
Kathleen

Old 11-05-13, 11:29 AM
I'll have to check and see which filter is in the first position. Thank-you for explaining about the hardness setting. I removed the clip and it looks clean, both in the hose and in the part it was connected to. Thanks for the advice.
Kathleen