Kinetico K5

Old 04-15-14, 10:49 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kinetico K5

Hi,

I recently bought a Kinetico S150 softener and a K5 RO system. I asked for the RO system to be located at a sink in the garage (about 30-40 feet away) so I could keep my in house sink storage. In addition, I asked for it to be hooked up to my refrigerator water and ice maker system.

Installation went pretty good although when I asked them about doing initial sanitation procedure for the RO both the salesman and installer stated that it does not need to be done and they never do it???

I asked about doing the sanitation when replacing the cartriges and again the answer was the same (something about it being a closed system and unnecessary) This did not make sense to me as my old RO system was cartridge/bladder closed system and I did sanitation with bleach annually.

Are they just skipping what needed to be done? The manual talks about completing the sanitation so why should they skip it and state it is unnecessary to ever do?

The water comes out strong when the sink faucet is open wide and pulses when it is throttled a bit. The ice cube maker is not filling completely and I have the back half harvesting empty shell of an ice cube. The water in the door is slow and pulses making a mess. I do have the filter removed and bypassed on the refrigerator (Jenn Air)

I asked them to provide a solution and they do not appear to have one. I see from a simple Google search that there is an ice maker option for the K5 which brought me here.

What recommended steps would you suggest I take for my situation? I bought Kinetico specifically because I thought I could avoid subpar service and installation which I am wondering if this is what I received.

Now I am starting to doubt what they told me regarding the softener they sold me. Installation was in the winter months when the city water did not show iron content, but I told them when we moved in during early fall I saw yellow in the toilet bowls which research showed was probably iron in the city supply.

All help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-14, 04:55 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the manual calls for a sanitation then there is a reason for it. For them to ignor it is just being lazy and not wanting to do extra work. Call Kinetico Corp office and let them know you are not pleased with their work. As for the pulsing of the RO water, I'm not sure but that can be addressed with ther main office as well.

Old 05-06-14, 02:21 PM
H
Any other thoughts on this?

Old 10-01-14, 08:44 PM
H
HuMan, what did you ever end up doing about this? I've had a K5 system for 6 years and never sanitized it (Kinetico never mentioned needing to do that). I've bought replacement filters 3 times in that time (the system just shuts off and won't flow any more water when the filters need to be replaced so I just let them go till that point, regardless of calendar time). I can say that the taste and clarity of the water has always been the same but now that I'm looking at other systems for my new house and reading about the need to sanitize regularly it has me wondering about the K5... does it really have some advantage over the APEC, Microline, et al or were we not really doing what we were supposed to?