Need help getting rid of sulfur smell. (Hot+Cold)

Old 06-02-14, 11:02 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help getting rid of sulfur smell. (Hot+Cold)

A year ago I installed a Centaur system and water softener system. Both use Fleck 7000SXT heads. The water tested with a little bit of iron but there wasn't any sludge or buildup in the toilet tanks so we assumed it wasn't iron bacteria. We were wrong I guess, since a few months later the sulfur smell came on and got worse and worse. I shock chlorinated the well and that solved the problem for about a week. Anyway, I need to get this solved. Showers smell like you're bathing in sewage.

Could it just be bacteria growth inside the Centaur Carbon tank? Is it a good first step to rebed that? Sounds expensive and time consuming.

My research indicates I should use some sort of bleach injection system. Thoughts? Places to purchase? One online retailer sells a kit that puts a regenerating Fleck head on the Centaur tank, and draws from a diluted bleach solution on some sort of schedule. Is that a good idea?

I really need some good advice. Thanks!

Last edited by wantonsoup; 06-02-14 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Yes bleach injection is the best solution IMO. You also need a tank so the solution has contact time.

Here is the pump, flow switch and solution tank.( I have delt with this company but there are many out there. You may be able to buy l;ocally. This for reference)

Chemical Feed Pump Special Package - Budgetwater.com

Contact tank..

40 Gallon Storage/ Retention Tank - Budgetwater.com

Then you would need a filter to remove residual chlorine.. Like a back washing carbon filter or other type media..

Its been a while since I did any chorine systems so what for the more knowledgeable to reply....

Old 06-03-14, 12:21 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Which unit is first?
Carbon or softener first?

Old 06-03-14, 05:39 AM
W
Centaur carbon, then water softener, then the house.

Old 06-03-14, 09:31 AM
And how much iron do you have?

Was there a reason for the carbon to take the head spot?

I my self am trying to remember the last time that I used carbon first when there was Iron in the water....... Never..

Old 06-03-14, 12:34 PM
W
It was measured at 38 ppm (.38 mg/L) with 11 grains of hardness.

Everything I read and everyone I spoke with said to put the carbon filter first before the softener.

I've been presented with a recommendation of a system similar to what lawrosa suggested - a bleach injection with a holding tank, to go first in the line before the carbon.

Oy. Oh well, I guess I have no choice?

Old 06-03-14, 01:22 PM
I my self do not like using carbon to remove iron at any level.

Depending on the temp of the water as to the level of iron a softener can deal with.

carbon works really good on smell, but add iron and the life goes down hill real quick.

Just my thoughts on this.

Old 06-03-14, 05:31 PM
W
I didn't add the carbon for the iron, I added it so that the water was the highest quality drinking water I could create for my family - but your point is taken that by adding it first, I'm essentially using it to deal with the iron. I guess putting the bleach injection system first should solve that problem though as it will take the iron out of the water from what I understand, it'll sink to the bottom of the holding tank and I'll need to manually flush it every few weeks. That will leave the Centaur carbon to remove the chlorine and improve taste which is what I intended it to do.

Well it's a tough pill to swallow but nobody said living off the city water supply would be easy.

Old 06-03-14, 06:20 PM
The iron level is some thing that is while it is there is along the lines of What Iron?
Why chlorine injection?
Why not change the units so that the softener is first and then the carbon ...
Why make life harder than it needs to be?

Old 06-03-14, 08:13 PM
W
If I've got super stinky sulfur water, which I do, how is putting the softener first going to solve that? It's already going through the softener as it is and not being abated, right? I don't see how swapping the two existing units is going to solve the sulfur smell issue.

Old 06-03-14, 09:14 PM
If there is the flow from the well, then maybe a greensand unit would be better than the carbon.
Greensand uses potassium permanganate for both the smell and the iron and then the softener.
You will need a good flow from the well, say above 7gpm for the Greensand to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: