Hague Watermax Brine Rinse cycle problems

Old 06-23-14, 10:16 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hague Watermax Brine Rinse cycle problems

I have a background in repairing softeners but I've run into a problem that has stumped me with the WaterMax softener in my home. In the brine rinse cycle the water flow out the drain is way too fast. So fast that the brine is not being drawn out of the brine tank. Instead, some water is actually being fed into the brine tank. (By the way, I have replaced the brine valve assembly and the injector assembly--but still the same problem.) I've discovered that if I restrict the water flow into the softener by partially shutting the ball valve of the feed water line, the brine begins drawing out of the brine tank as it's supposed to. What do you think might be causing this? I've inspected the piston assembly and the internal cylinder walls that it moves within and have found no obvious problems. The cam seems to be functioning normally as well. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-14, 06:09 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The piston is what controls the water flow direction so I would think is is at fault. Either it is not sealing properly or not in the correct cycle. Is it possible the cam was put on incorrectly?

Old 06-24-14, 08:06 AM
R
The cam has been installed for a long time. This trouble just recently started occurring. I suppose it would be worth a try to replace the cam in case it has worn to the point of not properly positioning the piston. When I manually turn the cam to the brine rinse position the piston is in a unique position, different from the other cycles . . . But maybe it somehow is slightly off. The other cycles seem to be operating perfectly. I'm really curious about what in the heck is going on!

Old 04-13-16, 09:45 AM
M
Ball in air check cage

Looks like my water softener is not sucking any new brine. I removed the suction pipe from the brine tank and checked the level of ball in the check valve by dipping the valve in a glass of water. The ball does not float. Is that correct?

Old 04-14-16, 05:40 AM
No. The ball must float so the brine can be pulled into the unit. If it does not, when it starts to draw, the ball will check preventing brine from entering the tank and then the unit will refill the brine tank.

Old 04-15-16, 07:14 PM
M
ball not floating

Thanks biermech.

I will check again, but I think it doesn't float. May be water got inside.
Any idea where I can buy a new suction pipe?

Old 04-16-16, 06:36 AM
I tried to insert a picture to insure we are talking about the same thing but it is too big for this forum. I sent you a PM.

Old 04-16-16, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Pics too large has been discussed a number of times. Here's a recent thread on why and how:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...ures-here.html

Old 04-16-16, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the assist. I had to have help converting from a PDF to a JPEG. After much work, I ended up posting it on the wrong thread. Here is the pic intended for this thread. Is item #3 what you are talking about?

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-16, 11:52 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The ball at the bottom of the brine pick up tube can go bad and no longer float. When testing make sure that before it starts to pull, hit it with a pop of air so that the ball has a chance to float if it going to, and then check to see if water or brine can be pulled up the tube.
Depending on OD of the tube, either 3/8 or 1/2 it can be bought through a dealer most of the time, might be full 38" long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: