Water filtration improvement

Old 08-19-14, 05:29 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water filtration improvement

Hi,
My name is Piotr(aka Peter) and I'm a trailer mechanic (lol).
I found this great forum couple weeks ago and finally decided to add some questions. I hope I chose right place and didn't do any mess.
So I have some questions and I hope you guys can help me in this post.
First,
I bought my townhouse 3 years ago and when i checked my water report I found out I have about 30 contaminants. So I googled for 2 weeks andbought what I thoughts is right and needed and built water filtration system with my dad in basement. Anyway, we have well water.
10" sediment filter 50mic -> 10"sediment filter 5mic ->
BigBlue 20" 30mic - >Green Carbon(anti-chlorine) - > Softener

I'm hoping that we use clean water without sediment, chlorine and hardness.
I also installed RO system which takes water from the main line after softener.

SO my questions are:
1)Did I install all filters I need?
2)Did I overpaid?
3)Did I buy filters I don't need?
4)What can I improve? What can I change?
5)Plumbing code. Drain lines coming from brine tank and mineral tank should go directly to a round hole in floor behind my furnace or to main "white plumbing line" (I don't know how to call it).
6)How often do you change your filters? RO 1-3 stages, 4-5stages, big blue plated sediment etc...?
7)How do I know if I bought rght softener? There was so many upgrades for my unit that I don't know if I have everything what is needed.
8) My village buliding inspector forced me to make huge changes in my basement before I sell my house. Can I ask questions about basement remodelling here or in different topic?
9)These 2 first 10" sediment filters where my dad's idea. He thought that it will be enough. He bough about 10 filters and I change them every 1-2months only because I have them still for free but I don't think they do much good since they are brown after a week.
Anyway, I'm hoping some of you will like to read my post and maybe give me some cool advices. In my next house I would like to build even better filtration system.

Old 08-20-14, 06:08 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There are a lot of question. Fisrst of all, unless you have an injection pump, you do not have chlorine in the water. Secondly, you go from a 50 mic down to a 5 mic then back up to a 30 mic. You want to step down each time and not go back up. The 30 mic will catch very little because of the 5 mic before it. Besides, you should not use a 5 mic for a whole house filtration. It will stop up very fast. You asked, "did I overpay" but you did not say the price you paid. Did you buy the right softener? Don't know , you did not say what you bought.

Old 08-20-14, 12:42 PM
T
BigBlue 20" 30mic is the main sediment filter. It should and would be the only sediment filter but since my dad already got me these 10" filters for free I decided to use them until they are gone. I still have 3 or 4. I understand that after they are gone - they are gone. I won't put anything in these 2 cartridges. So I will be left with just one BB 20" 30mic. Is it enough, or should I buy 5mic BB filters for it?
money:
Green Carbon-10 whole house water filter $719
20" BB Sediment Water Filter 30mic $129 (but came as free gift with green carbon-10)
Water Softener Fleck 5600SXT Metered 64k Grain Capacity +18 x 33tank $590
RO-90 APEC Ultimate Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System $339

Prices are from today, I probably paid the same 3 years ago.
I was thinking about getting BigBlue 20" trio but I don't really know how this would be better rather than more expensive.
I bought Green Carbon because I was looking for a filter that would last really long and would eliminate chlorine which I know I have because I've read that water report and after whole installation I can't smell it in water.
Here is my water report.
It doesn't say chlorine at front but You can see :
Dibromochloromethane is a disinfection byproduct from the trihalomethane (THM) family, and is formed when chlorine, chloramines or other disinfectants react with organic and inorganic matter in water.

Bromodichloromethane is a disinfection byproduct from the trihalomethane (THM) family, and is formed when chlorine, chloramines or other disinfectants react with organic and inorganic matter in water.

Total trihalomethanes constitute the sum of four disinfection byproducts: chloroform, bromodichloromethane, dibromochloromethane, and bromoform.

Dichloroacetic acid is a disinfection byproduct regulated by EPA as one of five haloacetic acids that are formed when chlorine, chloramines or other disinfectants react with organic and inorganic matter in water.

Chloroform is a disinfection byproduct from the trihalomethane (THM) family, and is formed when chlorine, chloramines or other disinfectants react with organic and inorganic matter in water.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I bought this super expensive anti-chlorine filter to get rid of chlorine smell and not to play with this filter for more than 5 years. Expensive powder medium has to be replaced in another 2 years.
Green Carbon adsorbs chlorine, chloramines, odors & VOCs(website description).
Is there a better solution for chlorine? I didn't see big filters that would eliminate chlorine just like BigBlue stops sediment. When I look on the website where I bought BigBlue I just found out that I can use 20" 25mic carbon filter instead of plain sediment one and it says that it would take away smell and chlorine... but it costs $159(set) and treats upto 100k gallons of water.
Since website says that Green Carbon lasts 5-6 years for $719
then when I count $159(for first year) +5 addl years $70(just filter) = $509
Even if I add 5 addl shipping cost on average $10-15, then I would have upto $600 total.
So Big Blue 20" with carbon filter for 5-6 years would be cheaper but on the other hand after getting Green Carbon - they throw out Big Blue 20" sediment set for free and I would have paid addl $129. So lets say it's even but I don't have to worry for treating chlorine for 5-6years.
But still when I look on that right now with 3yrs experience and a lot more gathered information I have to say that at least I wouldn't use so much space for Green carbon because it is as big as softener.

Now - softener.
I think I bought too big and maybe I even didn't program it right because its manual is not for people like me.
When I tried to find what I need I invited 2 companies to check water for me and if I remember right they were saying something about "18-hardness". When I looked on this guide.
So since I see no iron in water report and I have 4 people household +2 dogs I should take 48000 grain capacity softener. I chose 64k one because it had the same price so I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision. I use Home Depot Morton salt(yellow- extended life). I think I use 10 bags of pellets a year but I never really counted.
What about resin in tank? I didn't change anything, so some simple 2.0 cu. ft. high capacity resin is inside Is it good, bad, should I change it next time?
What is 8% crosslink or Mediaguard KDF filter or Res Care feeder and do I need it?
What about cleaning softener? I found out that some "google people" say that they pour some of that cleaning solution inside brine tank. I never used anything, I just add salt when I see it's about 1/4 of tank to full(3 bags at once)

Big Blue 20" sediment filter
How to find long lasting cartridge for it? At first I paid around $60 and they told me it should last a whole year but I can uninstall it, clean with water hose 3 times. So alltogether I used it for more than 2 years. Is it ok?
I just bought another cartridge and found out that the same Pentek filter is for $30 at Amazon so I asked for credit. Anyway, I just found out that othe website sell pleated 20" cartridges for even $20. Is there a way to know which is better, which last longer? How do you know that sediment filter can't be no longer cleaned? If I would clean my cartridge every month, would it last forever? Please correct me

Last edited by trailer-mechani; 08-20-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 04:08 PM
T
any advice please? any comment, help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: