New Softener For Home On A Well

Old 08-20-14, 09:14 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Softener For Home On A Well

First of all, I've been reading many forums on water softeners as well as more than a few reference sites and this one has been the most informative and has had the best approach to spam and the few banned mis-informers that I've seen pop up in the majority of the forums.

So thank you for the community.

Second, I would like it if someone could look over my plan for errors and places for suggestions.

My girlfriend and I recently bought a house on a well that had previously had a softener, but the past owners took it with them despite the facts that they are expecting another kid and would like to move to a much larger house. Regardless, we know that we need one as the scale has already begun to show on some dishes.

The inspector has checked for bacteria/etc and all is well with the well.
I know that a professional test would be best, but for now, we've run both home tests that come in the kit for redundancy.

Hardness: 15-17 gpg (the scale jumps from 15-25, but the color is very close to the 15 mark, I have pictures if needed)
Iron: 0 ppm
Chlorine: 0.0-0.05 ppm

Adults: 2, planning for a small family +2 = 4
Showers: 2
Sinks: 4, will be installing another +1 =5
Outdoor faucets: 2 (not sure why these are on the same lines)

After doing a few online calculators, it seems that the 40k size is the most appropriate, but may be over-sized until that 4th person comes along.

I could not find a local Clack rep and although the original owners didn't pipe their system in correctly, we're not planning on hiring a plumber. So Fleck it is.

I'm currently looking at the 5600SXT 40k from Ohio Pure with standard options.

Is there any benefit to the cylinder over the rectangular tanks? The rect. has more volume, but I don't know if the continuous curves help with regeneration or flow.

Thank you for any help and please feel free to let me know if I missed something.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 09:30 PM
T
We went ahead and had it tested at a lab.
19 gpg

Old 09-12-14, 06:58 AM
T
Welp, this was enlightening. I suppose that I misjudged the activity level here.
Time to call direct.

Old 09-12-14, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Lets do the math. 1 CF of resin has 30K max @ 15 lbs salt & 20K min @ 6 lbs salt capacity. The 40K you are looking at will have a min capacity of 26K @ 8 lbs salt. So 26k/19 GPG hardness=1368 gallons between regen. At 65 GPD per person=4940 grain per day. 26000-4940=21060/65/4/19=4.2 days between regens. This will use 57 lbs of salt per month. If you go with a 2 CF system, not only will it regen less times per month (which means less wear and tear on the valve) it will use less salt (50 lbs per month).

Old 09-20-14, 02:37 PM
T
biermech, thank you for the reply. I appreciate the help.

Just to clarify, you're suggesting that the larger system will be more salt efficient since the system will have to regen less often, correct?

As for the math, I'm not sure where you found the min capacity of either system, so I'll just have to trust these. You're correct that 4 people with a 65 GPD/person average comes out to 4940 grain/day.
Though you jump after doing the regen-days calc. The common grain capacity of 26000 grains needs to be divided to get the number of days between regen.
26000/4940=5.26 days

Let's see if I can fill in the rest of what you did.
Though to get to 26k on a 32k system, that comes out to around 10.4 lbs
10.4-8=2.4lbs extra used each regen if we used the common amount between the two systems.
If we used the full capacity of each:
32000/4940=6.48 days
31/6.48=4.78 regens/month
15*4.78=71.7 lbs/month

40000/4940=8.09 days
31/8.09=3.83 regens/month
??*3.83=

Either way, you've convinced me that the larger capacity is more salt efficient.
Thank you for the help.

Now to find the recommended sales guy that I saw posted on here at some point.