Softener Pellet Storage

Old 09-12-14, 02:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Softener Pellet Storage

I'm curious how long water softener pellets will store for? Part of me says "forever if they don't get wet" but I wanted to verify.

My professional field is very volatile... so when I can stock up on something that won't go bad, no matter how insignificant it seems, I do. $6 and $5 here adds up if you have a years worth and that supply of everything could mean keeping my house while I find a new job or losing it before I get a chance to find one. I'm hoping to just get a ton of bags of pellets for storage.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-14, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 172 Votes on 154 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Softener salt will last forever as long as they stay dry. I would still put something down if you are going to place the bags on concrete. If they do get wet, and the brine gets to the concrete, it will damage it.

Old 09-12-14, 03:55 PM
F
Thank you! I have it in a big plastic bin in a dry basement. I run a dehumidifier down there as well.

Any chance you happen to know about Calcite too? I use it in a pH system to fix the water.

Thanks again!

Old 09-12-14, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's not just "wet" that can mess them up either. Stack them on the ground in a high humidity environment for long periods of time and you will have problems.

Not sure if the bags are sealed or if they have vent holes. Either way, they need to be off the ground with some sort of frame or a pallet.

Old 09-12-14, 04:34 PM
F
I appreciate your help! Sorry for being so clueless on this. This is my first house so I have absolutely no experience with a lot of this stuff... and I work with computers, definitely not plumbing or anything of that nature. I wish I was smart enough to take up a trade instead of working in IT.

Would a garage be better? It's detached but seems like a better choice then a basement after all. I'll put it off the ground. I appreciate that advice for sure.

Old 09-12-14, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, all depends on temp and humidity. Basements are normally more stable in temp...but humidity can still swing.