Replacement Softener - Fleck 5600 SXT or 7000 SXT?

Old 09-24-14, 01:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement Softener - Fleck 5600 SXT or 7000 SXT?

Hey All, I have an old Culligan Mark 89 softener that finally gave up the ghost, so I'm looking for something more modern and efficient to replace it. Local companies around me want a king's ransom to install a unit, so I want to order one online and install it myself. My house is about 2000 sq ft with 2 bathrooms and there's only my wife and I now but we might have one or two kids down the road. We're on city water and our water hardness is about 18 - 20 gpg and no iron issues as far as I know. I'm in the process of getting more info from the city. The culligan has been satisfactory in terms of softness, but it recharged every 3 days and leaked constantly. Our water usage was about 300 gallons per day higher because it started constantly leaking down the drain pipe. From what I've read online, it looks like a 32k grain capacity unit would be about the right size for our house, but I wanted to double check that. I'd like to get a metered, demand based unit with a more modern controller. I've mostly been looking at the Fleck units, namely the 5600 STX and 7000 STX and have seen them online for around $500 or so delivered (local vendor quoted me $2800!) Which of these two units would be more recommended and why? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 08:20 PM
M
Ok here's some more water data from the city.

Hardness = 307 mg/L (18 GPG)
Iron = 0.05 mg/L
Cholrine = 0.85 mg/L
TDS = 450 mg/L
PH = 7.5

Also dug up the Culligan Mark 89 manual for comparing specs:
http://culligannortheast.com/files/s...ners_guide.PDF
Old unit seems like its undersized for this house, but since there's only 2 of us, it seems to have kept up ok. Recharging every 3 days probably wore it out sooner though. I like a unit that only needs to recharge about once a week. Also, since I'm on chlorinated city water, do I need to upgrade to 10% exchange media?

Old 09-29-14, 08:02 AM
M
166 views and no replies... Anyone?

Based on continued research, it seems like the 5600 is the way to go since I have 3/4" pipes and don't really need the increased flow capacity of the 7000. After a bit more digging, this is what I'm thinking about ordering.

Fleck 5600 STX valve
3/4" Noryl yoke and bypass
10x54 tank with standard riser and basket
1.5 ft3 of 10% crosslink resin
standard brine tank with salt grid and fleck 2310 float
gravel for underbed
top distributor basket

Set to run efficiently with 6lb salt setting, recharging about once a week. That should give me a little room to grow if we add to the family. All this is about $670 from ohio pure. Sound about right for my needs?

Last edited by mr_fender; 09-29-14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-29-14, 08:45 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With 1.5 cubic in a 10x54 and standard distributor I my self would not use the upper basket as you are not pushing the resin level in the tank.
With city water the only real challenge is the chlorine that they are going to be pumping in and breaking down the resin over the years, but resin in your case will be easy to replace when that day comes.
Get the 2310 float assembly in the raw and cut it to the culligan brine tank that you have right now as it will take the new guts, done it many of times before.
The 5600 in any of its forms is a bullet proof valve.. very easy to work on from a home owners point of view.
Do the 3/4 turbin, makes for a smaller total package.

Out side of that looks like you have done the home work and are on the right path.

Old 09-29-14, 09:24 AM
M
3/4 turbin?

I though about reusing the Culligan brine tank, but wasn't sure if the Fleck float assy would fit or not. I'll have to give that a go.

Old 09-29-14, 10:13 AM
The 5600 SXT can use two different meter set ups, one that is the paddle wheel type and looks like the old meter style that has been in use for years and takes about 3 inches from front to back between the valve body and the bypass.
The 3/4 turbin takes the place of the adapters that would hold the valve body to the bypass, and adds no extra to the front to back foot print.
When you get the 2310 float assembly the pick up tube should be longer than needed, if you can get it at about 40" and then cut down to what you need it would be best.
It is a bit of an over all tight fit in the culligan 3" brine well but it will work as I have done it a number of times over the years.

Old 09-29-14, 01:47 PM
M
OK I see. Not sure which meter OPW supplies with the 5600 SXT but I'll check to make sure. As for the gravel, is it really necesary to shell out for high dollar NSF approved gravel, or would any clean 1/4 -1/8" gravel work? $40 seems kinda stupid for a small bag of gravel, but it's not that much over the life of the softener? Could I possibly clean and reuse the gravel bed from by Culligan or would it not be worth the hastle?

Old 09-29-14, 01:53 PM
You could use the gravel from the Culligan, most likely you will be taking some of the old resin along with it into the new system not that big of a deal in my op...
Another idea if you would like to get the most out of the new resin bed would be a turbulator in the make up of the new system.
It most likely will cost a bit more, but no gravel and better usage of ALL the resin over the life of the system as all of the resin will get to spend time at the top of the media bed.

Old 09-29-14, 02:59 PM
M
Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to get everything ordered and dive in.