Losing water pressure through water softener?

Old 09-26-14, 11:06 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Losing water pressure through water softener?

Hi

My water pressure lowers quit dramatically when the water is first going through the water softener.

To confirm the pressure loss is coming from the water softener I turned a cold water tape on near the softener & then pushed the bypass valve & the pressure really increases. I also did the same with the hot water with the same result.

Is there anything I can do to clean out the water softener so it is not slowing down the pressure or is there maybe another cause I am missing? Thanks

PS: Culligan Medallist Plus Series

Last edited by dommm56; 09-26-14 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 04:26 PM
O
Typically, when you lose water pressure through the softener, but have normal or good pressure when in bypass, it means that the resin in bad or going bad. It could be other things, but the most common is resin that is almost dead.

Regen a couple of nights in a row and see if that helps, if not, time for new resin.

Old 09-26-14, 06:30 PM
D
OK, thanks for the reply. Is replacing the resin a DIY kind of job? It sounds sort of straight forward.

Old 09-27-14, 09:42 AM
O
With most softeners you just get the valve off, dump the old resin and replace with new. Put the valve back on re-install.

Old 09-27-14, 10:53 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Another item to look at should there be iron in the water is iron build up in the main piston area along with iron build up on the upper basket if Culligan used one in your system.
Depending on the book that you received , there might be a parts break down that could show the parts that I am taking about.