Salt Bridge

Old 09-27-14, 07:07 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Salt Bridge

I know there are a lot of questions about this issue, but I feel like mine is a little unique. I haven't tested the hardness of the water lately but about 2 months ago I had very hard water caused by a salt bridge. I broke it up down to somewhere between the 1 & 2 lines, then I couldn't reach any further so I figured it would be okay (dumb assumption, I guess). Now it seems like the water is hard again, and I just checked & the salt bridge had built back up again. I just broke it down to between the 1 & 2 lines again but I feel like I need to take it all the way down or else the situation will just keep repeating (if it's even enough in the first place). What is my best option - pour some water in & try to soften the salt? Keep trying to break it up? How the heck do I reach that far down without tipping the softener? How can I best make sure this doesn't happen again?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-14, 11:01 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Do not add any more salt til that which is there has been used and there is no longer any salt in the tank.
Lines?
Sears unit?
Pellet salt?

Old 09-27-14, 11:20 AM
T
Salt Bridge

It's a GE, pellet salt. My only concern is it will take a while for that salt to run out & in the meantime the softener won't be working. We have very hard water. There's not a quicker way?

Old 09-27-14, 11:35 AM
Make sure that the float assembly is all the way down inside the black tube.
Adding salt over time often has away of moving that assembly up.
Your system puts water in at the start of the cycle, thus there should be no standing water between the regens.
You should send it into a regen now and then later today ,, say about 6 hours after the regen that you should be sending it through now.
Also watch the screen and make sure that the water flow meter is working, turn water on and it should show that there is water getting used and what kind of flow that there is at that time.

Old 09-27-14, 12:14 PM
T
Thanks akpsdvan. So you're saying leave the salt level where it is, with no loose salt in there, and send into regen? Then do it again six hours later? What should I expect to happen at that point - the salt in the bottom will loosen? I don't get any standing water between regens, I just think it's not doing its job very effectively. Thanks for the advice, I just want to make sure I understand exactly what to do, and also that doing a regen with so little salt in there will not damage the water softener. Also, the float seems to be low in the black tube so that's good.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-27-14, 02:26 PM
Loose or not the water will make a brine with the salt.
Now if you have been using potassium chloride then there could be a challenge if it is a large crystal, which will need to be broken and removed and start over with total new.
Simple way of testing the water.
jar with lid.......... 3/4 full of water in question............about 3-4drops of liquid dish soap into the jar put the lid on tight and the shake the jar long and hard...
If there is lather on top of the water and the water is clear...... life if good........
If not then there is a challenge as the softener is not working correctly.

Old 09-28-14, 05:58 AM
T
Ok, so I ran the regen last night - only once because we had to go out - then I did your jar test this morning and it lathered up very well. Does that mean the water is not hard, and I can leave the hardened salt and the bottom & fill it back up and I should be good? I will also bring a sample to Sears this week to get a more precise test of the hardness, but do you think I'm okay not breaking up the last block on the bottom? That would be really good news! Thanks again.

Old 09-28-14, 06:58 AM
Sounds more like what is on the bottom is the left over from the salt pellets that will not break down.
A Wet-Dry Shop vac will get that last bit out of there and then just keep it at about 2 bags at a time.
If the water in the jar was CLEAR... then you are golden and the Sears People should tell you that the water is soft... Do Not Tell them of the challenge as they are either going to be looking at selling new equipment or service call time....
You might put on the list to clean out the salt tank of your system about every 4 years.

Old 09-29-14, 09:33 PM
W
Name:  block-salt-0675316112010202144.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  12.4 KB Please use this block salt to avoid this issue.