Can't figure out how my water softener works.

Old 10-02-14, 11:06 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't figure out how my water softener works.

We just bought a house that has a water softener. There are two tanks, one slightly taller than the other. There is also what appears to be two brine containers. All are connected to one another. Water comes into the small tank which is connected to a container with salt, it also is connected to the larger tank which has a hose that connects to what appears to be a brine container also but contains no salt. There is a float system in this container and it has a hose that the runs to the brine container. It's very confusing and I'm not sure why there are two containers connected. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-14, 12:32 PM
K
Name:  IMG_1026.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  30.2 KB
this is what it looks like

Old 10-02-14, 12:53 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Does either the blue or black tank have a chlorine smell?
Does either of the units have any kind of tag that has a phone number of a company?

Old 10-02-14, 12:57 PM
K
Neither has a chlorine smell. There is a name and number on the tank but I'm not very trusting of them, when I called they just answered with a hello? I had to ask if they were the company and they said they were and would charge me a $100.00 to come out and show me how it works.

Old 10-02-14, 01:01 PM
Should be asking for either the owner or the GM....
Sadly they are going to be the ones to fully answer what is there, unless you can get the former owner to tell you what units where put in.
It is possible that there are two salt based units, one for hardness and the other for tannin... what is the water like in your area???

Old 10-02-14, 01:10 PM
K
We actually have asked the previous owners, all they know is that they put salt in the black one. The water is not that bad in our area.If I remember right its just high in nitrates. I was hopeful someone had a similar setup and knew what the other container was for.

Old 10-02-14, 01:13 PM
Sounds like the previous owner was not the ones that put the equipment in.

You are going to have to research what the area is like, have a raw water test done on your private well or get more information on the city water to find out what is in the water and then the equipment and media to remove it to get the water to the quality that you would like.

Old 10-02-14, 01:22 PM
K
They are the one that had it put in. We are on a well and its because of the nitrates that they had it installed. They were friends with the person that installed it but he did not give them any info on it and they didn't ask for any.

Old 10-02-14, 09:41 PM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You'll need to track down that "friend". Probably your best bet or just pony up the $100+ to figure out what it is and how it works.

Old 10-20-14, 05:03 PM
H
Take some good pic and do the foot work, go to a store in person and see if they can give you some info... people tend to like give out price over the phone, but you may get some real help in person...
Even if you goto a local homedepo or a water softener store and ask around there maybe someone around, an old retired guy that will help you out.

asking for advice over the phone sucks!