Whirpool W/S - Low Pressure

Old 10-05-14, 03:47 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirpool W/S - Low Pressure

We had a Whirlpool water softener (model WHES40) installed in our home about 6 yrs ag, and has always worked fine. Last week, we started noticing the pressure in our house was getting very low. After bypassing the water softerner, the pressure increased t normal again, so the culprit seems to be the water softener. I cleaned the nozzle/venturi and did three manual cleanings inrow, but the problem still occurs. I finally, disconnected the w/s and removed the top to expose the brine tank. When I removed the distributor/basket, the resin started slowly oozing out of the tank, and I had to remove about a handful of it. I took a picture immediately afterward (attached) to show the what it looks like now (see attached photos). Does this look normal? I read several places that said resin should last 20+ years, but I find it odd that it when I removed the top of the w/s and distributor/basket, the resin came oozing out (slowly). Shouldn't the tank only be about half full or so of resin? Anything else I should check? At this point, I'm thinking of emptying the resin tank, cleaning the tank out, and adding new resin, but would hate to go thru all that trouble if that's not the problem. Thanks!

Steve

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-14, 04:12 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Upper basket failed for some reason.
There should not be resin in the upper basket like in your photo.
About 85% of the media tank is filled with resin thus the upper basket to hold that resin in the tank.

So either the upper basket has a crack or there is crack in the dist tube or even in the lower basket.
Resin is most likely still good.

Old 10-06-14, 08:27 AM
T
Thanks for the quick response. Actually, I removed the basket and that's when the resin started oozing out. After scooping about a cup of it away, I then took the picture. So the basket is not in the picture. I cleaned the basket, and it looks fine as far as no cracks, etc.

Old 10-06-14, 08:47 AM
That part is just wrong........ coming out when the upper basket is removed? Truly I can not say that has happened to me when pulling the upper basket on a Sears type unit over the years.. never had it happen.
Now one thing that could have happened is a draw from the well if you have a well or if city then the pressure regulator failed. Either way water was sucked from your house back through the system and the media tank is no longer 10" or so diameter but less.

Old 10-06-14, 09:27 AM
T
Yea, that's why I'm so baffled, too. I didn't think that looked right at all. When I removed the basket, it was almost like someone slowly squeezing an applesauce cup and it oozing out. Only about a cup came out and then it stopped, so maybe there was still pressure from somewhere. Just bizarre (and I'm glad I'm not the only one who things so). I'll check some of the hoses when I can to see if any of them are clogged by chance. I did look down the center tube and noticed water at the very bottom, but I think that's normal. I'll se about the pressure regulator as well (it's city fed). Anyway, thanks for the quick responses.

Old 10-06-14, 09:47 AM
I would be looking to see if there are any signs of the media tank deformities cracks or any thing that does not look right.
Once the water to the unit is stopped and the back wash has started and water stops running there is no longer any pressure in the system.
Yes there should be some water down at the bottom up the dist tube... normal.
Who is responsible party on the pressure reg? you or the city?
I would pull the cover off the top of the system so that you can look down the sides of the media tank, if it did get sucked in ,,, then it will need to be replaced. It is a one way trip for the tanks.. I had one get sucked in a little, checked with factory types and all said ... REPLACE IT.... just what I found.

Old 10-06-14, 09:56 AM
T
Cool. Appreciate the help. I'll take a look at those things. As far as I know the city regulates the pressure. I am wondering if maybe when I disconnected the w/s I did not relieve pressure somewhere (just a guess). Another thing you mentioned was the lower basket, which I'll need to double-check as well. Maybe it not letting water up the tube which is causing the low pressure in the house and caused the media to have a little pressure when I removed the basket (again, just a guess - all this is new to me). Thanks again!

Old 10-06-14, 10:19 AM
If you put the system into bypass and then cycled the system there was nothing wrong done.
If you closed the water line before the system and opened a faucet in the house again nothing wrong.
I am going on the city owned pressure reg having a challenge.... the back flow part failed.