Not sure what needs to be done.

Old 10-11-14, 10:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure what needs to be done.

I have been living in a house with a well for 13 years now. My parents moved us in when I was 7, and we've had horrible water since. We've always been tight on money, and now they are on a fixed income and I am working part time while in school.

Anyways, our water has always been extremely brown. On a good day, it looks like diluted orange juice, but most days, like a glass of iced tea. We do have some sort of system, but I will admit I don't know much about it. They only things I know is that there is an iron bacteria problem, and we go through a lot of bleach. So much that taking a shower makes my eyes and throat burn. That's when the water is the clearest. Plus, bathing in brown water is highly disturbing to look at, heaven forbid what it does to our skin, clothes, and dishes. All fixtures are stained. We bring in drinking water from town.

I've asked them what we could do about it before, but they say it would be too expensive to fix. There's got to be something to do though right? I'm trying to save up so maybe I can get it looked at, but how expensive are we talking? They're both disabled, so I am doing what I can to try to help. I'm sorry for my ignorance, there's just got to be something I can do.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It really depends on what is in the water on the cost to get clean water. My first thought is Tannis. You need to have the water tested and post the results here.

Old 10-14-14, 01:34 PM
S
With your parents permission (and depending on your age), I would ask to have your water analyzed from a water filter company. Verify they would come out to do it for free (so no surprises). Gently explain your position and that you may or may not install the equipment they suggest. Then at least you have an idea on your water composition and what can be done to correct it. Where in WA are you located?

Old 10-14-14, 08:45 PM
P
Hi there, I'm 20 and I have an older brother who could possibly help out as well, so I hope age wouldn't be a big factor. My parents are open to the idea, but not until I save up a good amount first. They don't want someone out here unless something is most likely going to be installed (they're very much stay at home and don't like to be bothered kind of people.)

I'm in western Washington, Grays Harbor County to be exact.

Old 10-20-14, 05:18 PM
H
Like the others have said, you really need to start with a water test and work it from there.... call up the water people and get it tested, it should be free and like 'Ski-me' said "Gently explain your position and that you may or may not install the equipment they suggest"
After that you can post results and ask for advice, with that info you can start pricing equitment and take it to the next step. If this is going to an inconvenience to your parents then sorry, I guess they don't really want it fixed. but you have to start some where.....

Maybe find out if you can take a sample into somewhere and do it that way.... Not sure what direction to point you in.... a local college or maybe the city water dept, something like that.

Best of luck... and post the results, I'm sure someone here can help.

Old 10-22-14, 03:51 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Take a sample of water to a water treatment company and have them test it for iron, hardness, pH, TDS and tannis. Post results here so we can advise best system.