Whole house water filter

Old 11-02-14, 05:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house water filter

I lived in my house for 17 years. Had a new water heater installed 2 years ago. The over pressure valve started to leak 2 weeks ago. Plumber stated I had a lot of rust/iron deposits causing it to leak. He recommended a whole house filter. Need advise on what type of filter/treatment I need to install. I have a softener between the pressure tank (well water) and the water heater. Also, I'm assuming I need to have my water tested to determine exactly what I need. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-14, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Are you on a well or municipal water. If the latter, what is the incoming pressure? As far as filters, depending on what the testing shows, I like to install two filters in tandem with individual ball valves. The first in line would house a 5 micron filter to take out the large stuff, then a 1 micron to help with iron and taste. Do all this before anything, just after the PRV. Use brass ball valves, not pvc valves. In addition, do you have an expansion tank on the cold line just before the water heater? It could be code, depending on your location. This, likewise keeps higher pressures caused by expanding hot water from damaging the T&P valve on the water heater.

Old 11-02-14, 05:21 PM
B
I have well water. I have a bladder tank with a pressure switch before the water softener.

Old 11-02-14, 05:24 PM
Then not a likely candidate for high incoming pressure. Still, hot water in the tank expands and can cause premature failure or activation of the T&P valve. Filters definitely can help.

Old 11-02-14, 05:28 PM
B
I know this depends on my water test.... but any recommendations on what type of filters I may need?

Old 11-02-14, 05:33 PM
I prefer ones you can see through, obviously so you can see how the filter is doing. These take readily available filters. I buy mine in bulk online rather than one at a time. DuPont, Valve-in-head Whole House Water Filtration System, WFPF38001C at The Home Depot - Tablet

Old 11-02-14, 05:50 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Rust or iron in the water will not cause the safety valve to leak. Repeated opening, either manually or by over-pressurization, WILL cause the seat and disc to erode or become contaminated which in turn will allow more leaking.